Friday, March 1, 2013

Suavemente Scarf

Have you seen all those fun bleach pen projects on Pinterest?  I've had all kinds of designs run through my head that I've wanted to try, but guess what...no one sells Bleach Pens around here.  Believe me, I've looked everywhere.

So, how did I make this?


I made my own Bleach 'Pen'!

Now, I'll be the first to admit that this project looked quite different in my head, but in the end I let go and just let it be whatever it was going to be.  (This is probably not a good project for any perfectionists out there.)

I found the Bleach Pen recipe here:

                                                                Source: onegoodthingbyjillee.com via Etcetorize on Pinterest

Apprently I need some practice in the kitchen because my mixture ended up pretty gloopy.  In the end, I heard the voice of Tim Gunn in my ear and just "Made it work!", sort of.

So, aside from what you need to make the bleach pen, which I'll send you to OnegoodthingbyJillee to learn how to make, you'll also need:

Materials:
-cotton scarf
-pattern weights (anything heavy)
-paper to line your surface so the bleach doesn't stain your table
-lyrics to your favourite song or poem, etc.
-bleach pen
-optional: scissors and tape to make the end of your bleach pen pointier

Steps:
1) Lay down some paper to protect your table from the bleach.


2) Lay your scarf on top.  Stretch it as best you can and lay pattern weights (or all your bottles of Mod Podge) on top to keep it from moving.


 3) Prepare your bleach pen for writing.  I used some tape to try to make the nozzle a little smaller.


4) Write out your favourite poem or the lyrics from your favourite song onto your scarf using your bleach concoction.


Now, like I said, my bleach pen ended up pretty gloopy so this is quite a mess.  I was disappointed at first and then decided I didn't care.  The point isn't for anyone to be able to read it because it will be all scrunched up and wrapped around my neck anyway.  The point is that I know the 'secret' message on my scarf and it will hopefully put a little smile on my face when I think of it.


I tried to write out the lyrics to Suavemente by Elvis Crespo which is an old song but I love it.  It's basically a  dance song that's all about all the ways the singer wants to be kissed.

5) Let the bleach sit overnight and then rinse out or wash and hang to dry.


That's it!  You're done!

What will you put on your scarf?  For me it was a toss up between Suavemente, a Ricki Martin song, and my favourite Shakespeare sonnet.  I figured Suavemente would be the easiest to write out...and it makes me want to merengue! Leave a comment below~

                               

7 comments:

Mindy said...

I love the idea of using lyrics to decorate it! It turned out nicely, even if it wasn't what you were expecting. =)

Jessica @ View from River Mountain said...

What a truly creative idea.

Unknown said...

You are so smart! This scarf is so creative and I listened to Elvis Crespo's Song!! You are creative, entertaining, and an educator!!! Keep up the good work! Love your blog!

Designed Decor said...

I love this idea! I need to try it on one of my solid scarfs. I am thinking just a design of some sort! I have a newer link party and would love if you would come on over and share your post or social media sites. http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-link-party-5/
DeDe@DesignedDecor

Meghan said...

I love it - and the song brings back so many memories for me - thanks for sharing!

Kendra said...

Hi, Tamara!I found you through the Someday Crafts Linky Party. I just love this scarf! So cute!

Mary Decker said...

You are so creative! Beautiful scarf!!!

Is there any way that you can put the Pinterest tag on your blogs?

Mary

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...