Saturday, January 12, 2013

Muslin Scarf

This week's tutorial is a tiny bit late.  I was stuck out of town for work in a snow storm.  Ahhh, the joy's of winter in Saskatchewan~

Anyway, on with the show... any time you see me there are two things I can pretty much guarantee I'll have on me....a scarf of some sort, and at least one tube of lip gloss.  (The last time I checked my purse I had no less than 10 in there, so silly, I know, but it's just one of those things~)

DIY Scarf, Muslin Scarf, Lace Scarf, How to make a scarf

This project is beyond easy but a great little addition to your closet.

Here's what you need:


Materials:
-cotton fabric/muslin (approximately 37" or .95 m)
-wide lace ( I used stretch but it can just be regular flat lace)
-thread
-standard sewing kit

Steps:
1) I picked up this fabric from an old first aid kit that was about to be thrown out.  The piece of muslin is for making a sling so that's why it's shaped into a triangle.


I decided not to alter it or cut it into a strip.  The extra cloth gives it more body and something to play with.

2) At the last minute (after ironing the fabric) I decided to do a rolled hem on the two raw edges.  If you like raw edges you can just leave it as is, many of you know that's a pet peeve of mine though, so I couldn't leave them.  I went with contrasting thread but you could just zigzag or turn your edges over and use a matching thread if you prefer.


3) See how it's folded over up there?  Keep that in mind and add a strip of lace between that gap.  My lace is about 15" long (around 6" wide for you perfectionists out there).  Pin it down, cut off the end, and sew down the edges. (I added a rolled hem on the lace edges before I sewed it down.)



That's really all there is to it.  See?  Beyond simple.


For those of you who follow me on Facebook this is the haircut that I mentioned earlier in the week.  I didn't go for the platinum blonde pixie cut but I did cut off about 6-8".  Now I can grow it out again I guess~

What is the one thing that you ALWAYS have with you?  Leave a comment below~

8 comments:

Ana Love Craft said...

Too charming, Tamara! LOVE IT! Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial!
Have a fabulous weekend!

Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Lauren said...

Looks very easy to do!!! It would be great if you would come share it at my Funday Sunday Link Party that will open this Saturday at www.the-crafty-cowgirl.com! Hope to see you there!

Jill said...

Great scarf Tamara! Your new haircut looks great!
Mmm, what do I always have with me.... a bottle of water! Living in the tropics, we're ALWAYS thirsty!!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Life according to Lenetta said...


 Hi, great post. I found you through the blog hop. Please stop  by and say hi when you get a chance.  .Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that started. It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Now following you.  Here's the link for it if you would like to check it out.
http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-1.html

Anonymous said...

This is so cute, I love the lace detailing on the scarf! Visiting from the Your Whims Link up party :)

Lindsay @
LindsayJEveryday.blogspot.com

Melodee said...

love this! the lace makes it so pretty!

Ruth said...

Love the scarf. So easy and pretty.
Ruth

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

A scarf is a must in the cold!! Lace is a beautiful touch.

Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
<3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...