Friday, January 25, 2013

I'm Bored Jar

Just before Christmas I was the lucky lucky winner of this prize pack from the amazing Lowri over at Papervine.


Lowri is a fabulous paper artist and I'm constantly inspired by her creations.  When I opened my mega prize pack   I instantly had an idea for what I wanted to use it for.



I don't hear my niece and nephew say "I'm bored" very often but I do hear them say "What can I do???". So I thought this would be a fun gift for them....and for their mom~

Here's what you need to make your own "I'm Bored" Jar.



Materials
-container or jar
-popsicle sticks
-pretty papers and embellishments
-Mod Podge or other adhesive and sponge brush
-ruler, knife, and cutting mat
-very fine tip markers (not shown)

Steps:
1) Start with a clean container or jar.  I'm using a relish jar, it's the perfect size for my sticks.  Measure the flat surface of the jar.  Mine is approximately 2 inches.


2) Now cut some cute paper the same width to go around your jar.  I was lucky I had so many to choose from, this border print is exactly the right size!


3) Paint some Mod Podge onto your jar and adhere your paper.


4) Once you've finished embellishing your jar, set it aside.  Ah! But before you do, toss one of your popsicle sticks inside to see how much sticks out the top.  Mark your stick lightly.  You'll use this as your template.


5) If you really want to ensure maximum confusion, cut all your papers from the same sheet so that the kids won't be able to identify them and memorize what's on each stick.  I had so many pretty papers to use I went with different ones but every single stick is completely different.  I cut out two pieces of the same paper from every sheet and then mixed them all up.  My niece and nephew are pretty smart but I think it'll take a few times of pulling the sticks before they'll be able to memorize them.


6) Once again, get out the Mod Podge and adhere your papers to each side of the sticks.


7) When all of your sticks are dry, take a very fine tipped felt marker and write out a fun activity on the end of the stick.  Don't use chores or the kids will never want to play this game.  Make it fun for them, and you~


If you don't want to write them all out you could print them on paper and mod podge them on too.

Here's the list of activities I came up with:
-Dress up in a costume and put on a play                           -Put together a puzzle
-Listen to music                                                                 -Have a picnik
-Have a fashion show                                                        -Make a bracelet
-Read a book to Barclay                                                   -Build a fort and camp out
-Make something new with Lego's                                     -Build a racetrack and race cars
-Play a board game                                                           -Finger paint
-Paint a picture                                                                  -Practice Jenga
-Build something with playdoh                                           -Play with your Barbies/Trains
-Clean out your closet and donate some clothes you don't fit
-Talk to an adult about when they were a kid                     -Look for stars in the sky
-Bake cookies with an adult                                               -Count clouds and find shapes
-Make someone a card

Throw your finished sticks into the jar and voila!  Hours of fun!


By the way... I didn't eat all of those popsicles, (I could've but I didn't).  I got these from that discarded First Aid kit I told you about a couple of weeks ago.  I think these sticks were for making splints.  See???  I can find a crafty use for almost anything!

Can you think of some more activities to add?  Leave a comment below.  The more ideas the better!

Make sure to go visit Lowri over at Papervine.  Not only does she have wonderful projects but she has loads of giveaways all the time too!

This project was featured here:

    five days five ways | because every day is different

23 comments:

Jen @ Cuddles and Chaos said...

I made one of these last year because my daughter is chronically bored (yours is WAY prettier). It seriously was one of the best ideas I've ever had.

I made sure I included a bunch of stuff she can do on her own in case I'm in the middle of something and need something to hold her over until I'm done.

I'm going to have to go back and pretty ours up with some scrapbook paper now!

Roudi said...

Oh I love how you decorated your jar. You're so lucky on your candy win, too! Can't wait to see what else you'll be making with the pretty paper. :):)

Hugs from Egypt. xx

Roudi @ c-is-for-craft.blogspot.com

PaperVine said...

What a fabulous project! I am going to have to make some of these for my kids too - we are just finishing our long school holidays and there are a few times I could have used it!
Thanks for linking it up to the PaperVine Facebook too so others can see it too. So glad you enjoyed your prize - I LOVE to see what people make with the Giveaways.
Lowri :-)

Anonymous said...

Such a brilliant idea! I love it.

Brenda said...

This is a super idea...betcha' someone is going to memorize which stick is about baking cookies quickly enough and I bet an adult may take out the sticks that involve keeping an adult occupied. hahaa.
It is surprising though how much fun can be had without the ipads, t.v. etc. We used to buy a couple comic books and a bag of candy with our allowance and go sit in a tree to read them, and exchange - took hours on a Saturday. But who can buy penny candy, who bothers' with comics and show me a kid that can climb a tree without ruining their designer clothes huh? Ahhh the 60s. LOL
Cheers from Oshawa Ontario.

Andrea said...

this is such a great and cute idea! for kiddos and adults alike! who doesnt get bored sometimes? and the way you did it make this look even cuter!!

thanks for sharing!

Vanessa said...

This is such a good idea! It's good to get kids to do something other than watching tv.

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Great idea!!! Pinned!

Leslie Germain said...

adorable. thanks for sharing. Love the patterned paper you used. Visiting you from Sugar bee crafts. www.thememorynest.blogspot.com

Jill said...

Great idea Tamara! - for my girls I'd add "jump in the pool" ! No matter what the weather, that always appeals to them and keeps them amused for ages!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

Adorable! What a great idea! I'm a new follower ;)

Paula Parrish said...

Love your “I’m Bored Jar”, I am going to pin it to make later. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. ;o)

Unknown said...

This is so cute! My kids are too young to say "I'm bored," but I'm definitely going to have to keep this in mind for the future. Pinning so I can refer back.

I hope you'll link up at Off the Hook!

Stephanie said...

Love, love, LOVE it! I had to pin it and will hopefully make one for my hubby :)

Thanks for sharing.

Hugs
Stephanie

Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life said...

Ahh! This is such a cute idea! We would love it if you would link up at our new linky party: Two Girls and a Party Hosted by:
Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life
Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
We hope to see you there!

Rebecca @ Herons Crafts said...

This is so cute! The idea itself is fantastic but your execution is fabulous - I love how pretty you have made it!

Unknown said...

I am definitely making a jar for my son. I hear "I'm bored" so many times a day I could scream. I know my son will love it. A fun one could be to re-enact their favorite scene from their favorite movie and have an adult guess the name. Thanks for the great idea.

Gretchen said...

Great idea! With as many rainy days as we've had lately, my kids are sorely in need of something like this :)

Unknown said...

this is such a good idea and it sparks creativity from the parents/grownups and the kids! Love this!! New follower, found you through Someday Crafts :-)

booooo said...

This would be an excellent thing for a pre-school/kindergarten teacher for play time. You pick a stick and whatever you get that's the activity you do for the play time!

Also, I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog (it ends Tuesday) if you'd like to come back by and check it out that would be excellent!

Sara Ivy

How the Sun Rose said...

Clever & so cheery :) I will be making some for my children for the summer.

Natalia Lynn said...

This is so great, we definitely need this. My kids don't say it a lot either, but when they do it would be nice to give them options!

Jelli said...

This is great! Love the creativity in this boredom jar.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...