Friday, November 23, 2012

Super Pretty Ceiling Fan

Bet you never thought you'd hear all those words together ever, did you?  Well, lucky for you, you're in the land of Etcetorize and everything's pretty!  Even ceiling fans~



Here's what you need to make your own:


Materials:
-Gorgeous heavy weight paper
-scissors, sharp blade, straight edge, cutting mat
-Mod Podge, sponge brush
-screwdriver
-one blah boring ceiling fan (not shown)

Steps:
1) Using your screw driver, remove the blades from your fan.  You'll probably need to wipe them down unless you live in one of those fanatically clean houses I've only seen in magazines.

2) Lay out your gorgeous paper (I got mine from an art supply store), and decide where you want the designs to fall.  Watch for repeats or a one way pattern.  With a pencil, lightly trace around your blades.


3) Cut along the traced out lines with your scissors.  If you're especially confident with a sharp knife you could skip these two steps and just cut along the edges of the fan blades.  I wasn't so confident.


4) Lay out your cut pieces to make sure you're happy with the configuration.


5) Now comes the fun part...the Mod Podge!  Get out the big bottle and paint it onto your fan blade.


6) Lay your paper down on top.  If you don't have a brayer, use a straight edge to gently push the glue right to the edges and even out any air pockets.


7) When you traced your paper, you probably didn't go right close to the underside of the fan blade and now have a bit of extra paper along the sides.  Use a sharp blade to cut off any excess.  Make sure your knife is sharp, you don't want any raggedy Anne edges!


8) Use your sharp blade again to make holes in the paper where the screws need to go through to re-attach to the fan.


9) If you want a shiny finish lay another coat of Mod Podge on top of the paper and seal in the sides while you're at it.  I opted for a matte finish and didn't do this top layer of Mod Podge....so I'm already done!

10) Reattach the blades to the fan and then just sit underneath it and gaze at it's prettiness!  So lovely, don't you think???


This room is getting seriously pretty!  I left the other side of the blades white so that if I change the decor or sell my house I can easily switch it back.

This is also a slightly better photo of my PEACE wall art that I showed you a couple of years ago.

Have a crafty weekend everyone!  Enjoy~


14 comments:

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

That is beautiful, I bet when it spins the colors look amazing as well. nice job

Robyn said...

Oh my goodness! That is gorgeous! I need one! Now I just need to convince the hubs that he wants butterflies on our ceiling fan...

Inspired By June said...

Great idea, Tamara! Your fan turned out lovely!

Cassandra said...

Oh wow! I love this so much. I'm already trying to decide in my head which of my vintage fabrics would be best suited for this project!

Thanks for sharing x

Jill said...

Ha! I would never have thought to make my fans pretty!! Love it Tamara!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Elise Engh said...

This is an awesome project! I would never have thought of it, but it's so pretty!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

I love it! I'd love to have you link this up at my Pin Me Linky Party because it's very pin worthy! Pinning it now!

megan said...

wow, what a clever idea! I would be honored if you shared this at my Ginger Jamboree Link Party!

Accidentally Wonderful said...

What a great idea! Much better than spray painting =) I'd love it if you stopped by my blog and shared this at my new linky party!http://accidentallywonderful.blogspot.com/2012/11/now-co-hosting-inspiration-spotlight.html

Annie said...

This is beautiful! I was thinking about painting the ceiling fans, but I think your idea is better. I must try this!

Cathy C said...

I have been considering doing this in my craft room but was not sure how. Thanks for the tutorial. Saw you over at Someday Crafts.

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Thanks for linking!

Staci Severns said...

That’s a dainty ceiling fan! Now this is a great way to personalize your ceiling fan if you think it’s too boring or lifeless! I like how the paper kind of meshes with the color of the fan, but it also adds color to it. There’s a balance of color and plainness to it that’s just beautiful. I love it!

Unknown said...

thanks

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...