Friday, November 16, 2012

Beaded Headbands

Party season is coming up soon and today's project is the perfect way to add just a bit of sparkle and pizzazz to your outfit without blinding your dance partner.

DIY Beaded Headband, Make your own headband, DIY Hair accessories
Here's what you need to make your own:


Materials:
-headband
-small gauge wire (make sure your beads will fit onto it)
-beads
Optional: Round nose pliers

Steps:
1) Cut a piece of wire at least 1 metre (39") long.


2) Using your pliers wrap one end of the wire to make a small ball.  If your wire is soft enough you can probably  just bend it with your fingers.  There is no technique to this, you just want something that will stop the beads from sliding right off the end.


3) Start loading up your wire with various beads.  Use different sizes, some matte some sparkly, etc.  This will give it more variation and create more interest.


4) Once you've filled up your entire metre of wire with beads create another 'knot' at the end, again this is just so that the beads won't fall off.


5) Wrap your beaded wire around your headband.


6) You should have enough wire to circle back to create a criss-cross pattern.


7) Tuck the end in and bend it so that it's secure and that's it!  You're ready for the party!


I had another headband that I never wear so I created another bead mix out of these beads:


and made this one!


I added a little beaded bouquet of flowers to this one too.

As you can see, I don't really wear my headbands the traditional way with hair pushed back.  I wear them more like little crowns or tiara's.  They feel more special that way~

DIY Beaded Headband, Make your own headband, DIY Hair accessories

I know someone will ask, so I'll just say now, that they don't hurt when you put them on, at least not any more than any other headband does.

What do you think?  Are headbands just for little girls or would your wear something pretty like this yourself?  Leave a comment~

This project was featured here:

Beyond The Picket Fence

4 comments:

Malena Valcárcel said...

Nice and very original!!

Anonymous said...

I THINK THEY ARE GREAT AND SO EASY!I ALWAYS WEAR HEADBANDS WHETHER THEY ARE IN FASHION OR NOT.IT IS A DIFFERENT MAYBE PERSONAL STYLE AND THE SPARKLY ONES ARE LOVELY,IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU WEAR THEM,LIKE YOU SHOWED.

Jill said...

Very pretty Tamara. My girls would love these. I'm afraid I'm not a headband girl myself, but have plenty of adult friends who are!!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Mitzi said...

Very pretty, Tamara! I have a huge stash of beads sitting here, so I should give this project a try!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...