Friday, January 13, 2012

Paper Doily Shower Curtain

Mod Podge is a wonderful thing, isn't it???  Did you know that you can use it on plastic?  Don't believe me? Check out today's project!

I really needed a new shower curtain(s) (my clawfoot tub needs two).  I like to get just a plain see through curtain because, number one- no one is around to check me out while I'm in the shower so it doesn't need to be opaque, and number two-I need to keep an eye on my battling cats, even when I'm in the shower.

But plain see through can be very boring.  I thought about buying some plastic by the yard and painting it, but come on, that's just craziness when you can perform magic with Mod Podge!

Here's what you need:

I ended up not using the Sparkle Mod Podge
I held back for once in my life on the glitter~

Steps:
1) After I cut my shower curtain the right length for my tub I just decided which side was the outside and layed it out on the table.  The rest is just like any Mod Podge project.  Slap some Mod Podge onto the wrong side of your paper doily, working from the centre outwards.

2) Randomly place your doily glue side down onto the outside of your shower curtain and then add another layer of Mod Podge over top.  The Mod Podge will dry quickly and the paper doilies are a little fragile so be patient, work fast, and don't forget to smooth out any air bubbles that happen.


Make sure to go slightly over the edges to seal it in and get in and around all of the little openings of the doily.  Just use a damp cloth to wipe around the edges if you get too much on the plastic.


This is so beyond easy but I have to admit the first one took a little longer than I wanted.  Once I got a rhythm and a method though it was smooth sailing and I am thoroughly pleased with the end result!


So much prettier than anything I could've bought and so much better than just plain see through plastic~

DIY Shower Curtain, Mod Podge Shower curtain, Mod Podge Doilies, Decoupage Shower Curtain, Decopuage Doilies, easy craft, how to mod podge, how to decoupage


You could really go to town on this with loads more doilies.  Or you could print something on them before you glue them down.  Or try your kids fav cartoon characters printed from your computer.  I can think of so many fun ideas now that I know the Mod Podge will work on plastic! 

What do you think?  Will you give your washroom a little injection of personality with some Mod Podge?  Leave a comment below and let me know what you think!
This project was featured here:




37 comments:

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Hi Tamara,
Its such a cool idea,,you clever girl ..hmmm..
Keep rocking with mod podge!!

Ann said...

Great idea. Awesome look!

High Street Cottage said...

It's actually quite cute:) I adore paper doilies!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Well I was wondering how that was going to turn out and I was very pleasantly surprised. It really is awesome.

Little City Farm said...

Well, no I did not know you could mod podge plastic. What a fantastic idea!

Saraccino said...

Hihi.. I love your comment about your batteling cats! My three little ones (...to be honest, they are really big cats!) are also always fighting. But you know what? Only if I am there looking! I catched them just recently: Coming home at a unusal time, all of them were asleep... and cuddling! The are going to be eleven and I catched them for the first time really cuddling! I tried to get a picture but as soon as they awoke and saw me, they started fighting again ^^

Oh... and I need mod podge just for trying.. but never found it this side of the ocean :(

Love your idea! How about integrating glitter or some tiny silhouettes?

Lindsay said...

I love this idea...and I have the perfect shower to use it on! Thanks for the inspiration!

Gen said...

Who would have thought? You of course! Really really cool idea T!

Lindsey said...

Wow I would have never thought of trying to use modge podge on platics! Came out great :)

Unknown said...

Love the doilies. So shabby chic for the bath.

Etcetorize said...

(Testing this new Reply feature in Blogger!!)

If I ever caught my cats getting along, let alone cuddling, I'd think I was dreaming~

For anyone who can't find the wonder craft supply Mod Podge, there are recipes online for watering down glue to make your own.

Kate Nyquist said...

that is such a cute idea! i love using both paper and fabric doilies throughout the house. visiting via Funky Junk! Kate x

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

How fun! I am just loving doiles lately and this is a total original!I would love for you to come link up at my party going on now through Sunday night!
http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2012/01/get-schooled-saturday-6-and-e-book.html

Jan said...

Great idea and great tub!

FeltByRae said...

I love your bathroom and your shower curtain suits it perfectly; what a clever idea

Etcetorize said...

Thanks! Believe it or not, I've never taken a bath in it. Sinful...I know~

Etcetorize said...

Thanks! I don't know if there's anything you can't Mod Podge! The possibilities are endless~

Etcetorize said...

Thanks! One of these days I'll finish redoing it and show everyone the rest of it~

Nicole said...

way to go on the creativity. i love coming up with awesome new ideas for the house.

xoxo

Annika said...

That looks beautiful. I love all things doily and I have not seen this use for them before!

Kelly @ Here Comes the Sun said...

So pretty! Thank so much for the sweet comment on my blog. I'll be back on Monday to link up to your party.

Jill said...

Oh that is really cute! What a great idea!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Beth @A Little Country House said...

Clever girl! Very Shabby Fabulous!

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

Sweet! I've been wanting to put a curtain on my clawfoot but didn't want to totally obscure it. This is perfect! Frankly, anything that doesn't require sewing skills goes right to the top of my DIY list! LOL

Visiting via Sugar & Dots. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Little City Farm said...

You already know how much I love this idea - thanks for sharing it at our Link It Up Thursday party. :)

Anita Rowe Stafford said...

This is beautiful and you are very creative and smart! I don't think you could have bought anything prettier than this!

Brandi said...

very pretty and such a creative idea! thanks for sharing!

Sandy Ang said...

It looks so pretty !

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Thank so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog tonight! Come check it out and grab a button! :) http://www.mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2012/01/your-whims-wednesday-43-and-features.html

Little City Farm said...

Hey Tamara. Just wanted to let you know that you're shower curtain is going to be featured on tomorrow's Link It Up Thursday, so come on over and grab a featured button if you like.

LindieLee said...

If they get wet or steamed - do they still adhere well?

Unknown said...

Brilliant! I love this tutorial, and I love it when Mod Podging on plastic works out!!

Etcetorize said...

LindieLee...my doilies haven't gotten wet because they're on the outside of the curtain, but it does get steamy in there and so far no problems at all. You just have to make sure to seal the paper in all around the edges with the Mod Podge.

Stacey said...

That's different!!! Never knew you could use Mod Podge on plastic. I think I will have to give this a try greta job!!

Cindy Tracy said...

Good Morning!
I just happened onto your site and
your shower curtain piece of artwork. I just love it so much!
I had no idea this could work. I
am going to get out, get what i need and get going on mine. You
have inspired me and I thank you!
Cindy Tracy
cbt06513@comcast.net

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

I love this project and featured it in a collection of Doily Projects!

http://www.ohmy-creative.com/uncategorized/30-diy-doily-crafts/

Susan @ Oh My! Creative

Unknown said...

Hello! I featured your tutorial in my blog series, Living in a White Box. My series features tips, inspiration, and ideas for how to decorate rental homes. Your doily shower curtain is perfect for my latest post as it's a great way to decorate on a budget! Very creative!

If you like, you can grab a featured button and check out my post at Living in a White Box: Dollar Store Decor. Thanks for sharing your amazing creativity!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...