I haven't done a refashion in awhile so, with the gift of an oh so not
pretty T shirt from work, I figured now would be a great day to do one!
|You know I'm having a bad hair day|
when the cowboy hat comes out~
Here's what you need to make your own:
-1 ugly T shirt, preferably with very little design and both inside and outside are the same
-standard sewing kit (thread, sewing machine, scissors, straight edge, chalk runner, pins)
1) Cut right up the side seams of your ugly T Shirt.
2) Now, cut off the sleeves.
3) Cut straight across the top layer only, cutting off the neckline.
4) If your T shirt is long enough, cut off about 4 inches or so from the bottom. But hang onto this piece because we're going to sew it back on later.
5) OK, almost done cutting. For the last one, using your front piece only, run your chalk runner or other marking tool about 2.5" in from the top right corner to about 2.5" in from the bottom left corner.
6) Cut along this line...remeber, we're using the FRONT PIECE ONLY.
7) Now, see the piece that looks like an upside down triangle? Turn it right side up, flip it so the 'right side' is now facing the table, and line it up with the bottom of the other triangle.
It should look something like this:
8) You can skip this step if you want to but please do me a favour and just finish the long edges of each triangle. You know how raw edges drive me crazy and it's such an easy step. Just turn the long edge in about 5/8", press it down and stitch. See? So easy~
9) Now we start to sew it all together. Adjust the front pieces to fit your body so that it's not too tight and there's no gaping in the front. Just drape it loosely on your body or a dress form to get an idea and then pin the bottom and baste together.
10) With right sides together, stitch your front and back together at the side seams.
11) Again, you don't have to do this, but I would be so grateful if you did, just finish the armhole seam. It's easy, just like before, just turn the edge over about 5/8", press it, and sew it done. Ahhhhh, doesn't that look better?
12) Now you can stitch the shoulder seams together. Don't worry about the back of the neck. Once you stitch the top of the shoulder it will automatically turn itself in.
13) Almost done....remember that little piece we cut off the bottom? Grab that. It has a nice finished hem that we can use. Cut off a couple of inches from the length so that it will fit a little more snugly around your hip area.
14) Sew the side seams together so that you have a tube.
15) With right sides together, line up the raw edges and re-attach to the bodice.
And that's it! Now you have a cute little top to wear over a tank top or to throw over your bikini top on the way to the beach.
It might take awhile, but eventually we will rid the world of ugly T-shirts~
Have a crafty week everyone!