Friday, July 20, 2012

Pretty Paper Lantern

Well, I haven't mod podged butterflies onto anything for you lately so I thought I better fix that.

I'm hoping to host a little birthday party in my yard next month so to get ready I've already started making some of the decorations.

paper lantern, decorate paper lantern, pretty lanterns, how to paper lantern
 
Here's what you'll need if you want to make your own pretty lanterns:


Supplies:
-purchased paper lantern
-mod podge, sponge brush (not shown)
-scissors and pencil
-paper to make your pattern
-napkins (or lightweight scrapbook paper)
-miscellaneous ribbons, lace, or trim for a hanger (not shown)

Steps:
1) Decide what shape you would like to use for your pattern.  I traced some vinyl adhesive butterflies I had onto to some craft paper to use as templates. ( If I had tried to use the actual vinyls they probably never would've come off the napkins)

Use different sizes to give your design variety~

2) Place your templates on the back of your napkins.  Trace with a pencil and cut out.

3) Most napkins are 3 ply.  Make sure to take off at least one layer before you start gluing.  If you don't do this the paper will naturally separate itself and cause a bit of a mess.  If you go down to 1 ply, printed paper only, you might find that it's too fragile to work with.  For me, two layers of paper worked perfectly.


4) Construct your paper lantern.

You were expecting a globe weren't you??!?
5) Now, you must be very patient and work slowly and very GENTLY on these next few steps.  Apply a layer a mod podge onto the back of your napkin shape.  Make sure to get right to the edges.


6) Place your napkin shape onto your paper lantern and very gently press into all the grooves.


I didn't apply another outside layer of Mod Podge like you do with most decoupage projects but you can if you want a little extra sheen.  I figured I was lucky not to have destroyed the napkins or the lantern so far and I didn't want to press my luck.

7) Cut some ribbon, lace, or whatever you have on hand to use as a hanger.  You can add some more pieces to the bottom too as a sort of tassel decoration.

And there you have it!  Easy Peasy!  A one of a kind gorgeous paper lantern:

Ahhh, the perfect place to relax
after a hard day of crafting~
I can't wait to throw the party and show you what else I have in store!

Until then, keep on crafting!

Here are some pins that inspired this project:

Source,Green Wedding Shoes,GlueArts

9 comments:

Hani said...

Love the shape of your lantern and cute butterflies your mod podged. Thanks for linking up at Friday Fun Party and have a nice weekend!

Amy said...

Oh, I love this! Pinning this. :)

Stephanie said...

Really lovely!!

Donna Wilkes said...

What would we do without Mod Podge?

The lantern is beautiful - wonder what you will create next?

Distressed Donna Down Home

Jill said...

What an interestingly shaped lantern! It looks beautiful with all those butterflies on! I'm going to pin this!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Emily Thompson said...

super cute! I had not thought of mod podge on a paper lantern... clever!
http://www.nap-timecreations.com

Sarah said...

So pretty. Where did you get your latern from? Just curious. This would be cute in a little girls room.

If you get a chance I would love if you would link up your tutorial at my Pin Party.

http://www.sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com/2012/07/pintastic-monday-link-party-1.html

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

That is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Artsy Girl. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-7.html Hope to see you at the bash! Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Kathy Penney said...

Just gorgeous and so summery! Found you via Crafty Soiree.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...