Friday, July 13, 2012

Bead Buster Garden Ornament

I am determined to use up what I have.  I have so many crafting supplies and fabric in my stash that it's a little out of control.

So today's project is a great way to use up all of those left over beads that you don't know what to do with (even the wonky ones!).

 
Here's what you need:



-wire coat hangers
-assortment of colourful beads, all shapes, sizes, and colours
-medium guage wire
-heavy duty wire cutters, jewellery making pliers/cutters

Steps:
1)  Using your heavy duty wire cutters, cut the top of your hanger off.


2) Straighten out your hanger and bend into a shape you like.

Look at the gorgeous blue sky!
I couldn't possibly sit inside crafting today~
3) Cut a piece of medium guage wire about 18" (46cm) long.

4) Make a small loop at one end to make sure your beads won't fall off.


5) String on your beads.  Don't worry about design or pattern, just have fun and throw them on willy nilly.


6) When your wire is almost full, make another small loop at the other end to make sure your beads stay on.

7) Wrap your beaded wire around the hanger wire shape that you made.


8) Repeat all of these steps using your second wire hanger.

9) Hold your two pieces of decorated hanger together and bind together with the medium guage wire.  I bound mine in two places but you can do as much or as little as you want.


And there you go!  Beads used up!  Ugly wire hangers recycled!  And a pretty ornament in your garden to catch the light.


I know, it sort of looks like something that my five year old niece made at day camp but, I love how the beads sparkle in the sunshine.  And...it almost looks like a butterfly, don't you think?!?!


This would be lots of fun to do with kids!  Add beads that hang or glow in the dark! Give it a try and let me know how yours turns out~

Happy Crafting Everyone!

11 comments:

Theresa said...

I am also trying to bust through my stash of craft supplies. This is a wonderful idea, absolutely beautiful! Since I have such a hard time keeping flowers alive, this will help brighten up my flower beds. Thank you.

being mom{me} said...

I think this is adorable. I'm sure the colorful beads look great in the sunlight and garden. A while ago I put myself in a craft/sewing supply purchasing "time out" until I use up some of the things I have.

Hani said...

This is such a fun and colorful project.. Thanks for linking up.

Freedom & Fairness said...

great project. i pinned it on pinterest! thank you.

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Beautiful & colorful..looking so good :)

Liz said...

Lovely! Liz

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

This is bright, fresh and fun--I love that you have it out with the daisies--they're perfect together! Have a lovely weekend.

Jill said...

What a lovely idea! I think my girls would love to do this and stick them all over our garden! I'm pinning to try! Thanks for the inspiration!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Ruth @ atnumber29 said...

Cool! This is sooo beautiful! I want one. (and I want the sunshine to shine through it. been having a miserable summer here in the UK)Would have to buy the beads to make it though. Not exactly stash busting...

Will be pinning this anyways...

Wendy said...

This is a lovely idea. What a great way to use the massive pile of plastic or ugly beads I have. I don't know where they came from but they seem to multiply!

Cheerios and Lattes said...

This is so cool! I would love to invite you to share this on Saturday Show and Tell: (www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-20/). I know that my readers would appreciate this and some of your other posts. Thanks and have a great weekend.
-Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...