Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Show and Tell: Geometric Satin

Ok, I need your advice on this one.  I made this dress ages ago but I've never worn it.  It's so not me but I was watching The Young and the Restless one day and was inspired by something Lauren was wearing.  In case you're wondering...yes, Lauren is a little flashier than I am~


I have an excuse for not wearing it, I never finished the hem.  I added the band to the bottom but wasn't sure if it altered the proportions of the dress in a weird way or not.  But now, given my new insight into the shortness of many of my dresses, I'm thinking I should probably leave the band on.


You may remember me mentioning that I'm not exactly crazy about the Project Runway patterns and I still stick to that but for some crazy reason I keep trying to make them work.


Here it is belted.


So, what do you think?  Do I keep the band on it and venture out into public in my dress?  Take the band off?  Take it in?  Give it away?  I don't know what to do with it~

13 comments:

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

So Beautiful :)

Amy said...

Lauren is still on?? She was on when I was in high school, clearly not the same actress or she ages fabulously!!

Its beautifully made, and I love the fabric. I'm thinking maybe take it in a little. But I absolutely with you about the band. There will come a day when it isn't appropriate to show off your legs anymore. I'd recommend doing it while you can and enjoy it. :)

Little City Farm said...

I like the band but it would probably be great without it too. I agree that maybe you should take it in a bit, or else the belted style looks nice too.

Mindy said...

I could never get away with anything that short, so if it was mine, I'd be tempted to make a slightly ruffly layer at the bottom of the band to give it a little extra length. Probably in one of the accent colors of the material. But that's just me!

the cape on the corner said...

absolutely belt it or take it in. the way you have it in the last photo looks fabulous!

the cape on the corner said...

maybe even make it shortsleeves or something, too?

Gen said...

I kind of like it as is. Belted would probably be more my style. Nice fall colors... Maybe you should do a giveway if it really doesn't suit your style so much??!!! Lots of girls would love to wear it!

Unknown said...

I love it with the band and the belt. So pretty!
~Natalie

Sunny Simple Life said...

I like it belted and my dear you look darling in anything you wear.

Hanni said...

This is a really lovely dress. I love silk so much :)
I love more with the belt. It would be lovely also with a belt in an other colour (matching your shoes or bag...)

Kate @ craftwhatever said...

It is cute belted! You are so small that I think the sleeves are the weird part. They are so big compared to you : ) maybe if the sleeve openings were not so big (wide and long)? It is a cute dress though. I would want it less full and I would wear it with leggings.

Unknown said...

I like it belted the best. Or if you took it in a little. I also agree with the comment above mine the sleeves are very big and seem off somehow. Maybe if you took those in a little. But I have to say over all it is adorable. I'm don't think you could look bad if you tried! Thanks for sharing with us this week!:)

AllieMakes! said...

Adorable!! Either way!! You could also wear a metallic belt. You can SO wear this out!! Great job!
I love Lauren's wardrobe! And we have decided here, that she wears her own shoes from home because we have seen her in Louboutins various times. Soaps have notoriously small shoe-budgets, so they have GOT to be her own. I would LOVE to dress like Lauren, but I'm 6 feet tall and she might be 5 feet tall soaking wet in heels... I can't get away with what she wears...

Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie last week! I can't wait to see what you have for this week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...