Friday, March 30, 2012

Scrapbuster Bracelet

Have you ever had one of those weeks where you feel like you just can't get it together?  That's how this week felt to me.  I just couldn't seem to get ahead.  So, today's craft is beyond simple and is just something fun to help you use up some of those scraps you have piling up in your craft closet.
This is all you need:

You could get more fancy pants and add beads or trinkets if you want but, like I said, this is not a fancy pants week for me~

Steps:
1) Using cotton fabric, make a small cut about a half inch in from the side and then tear.  It's OK, just go ahead and rip, and if it goes crooked and swings off the side, just do it again until you get a strip of fabric at least 5 inches long.

 Cotton is a natural fabric so you can tear it and it will naturally follow the grainline. Even if it appears crooked, this is actually the straight line of the fabric.  I like the rough edge you get from tearing for this project.


2) Cut one or more strips of fabric that wrap about 80% around your wrist.  You don't want the ends to meet.

3) Now cut some leather and/or suede lacing the same length as your fabric piece.


4) Cut another piece of leather about 4-5 inches long and tie one around all of the fabric and leather pieces.  Do the same thing on the other side.


5) Now tie your two laces together using what I call a sliding knot, but I think what everybody else out there calls a Double Fisherman's Knot.
Source

This is a great knot to know in case you don't want to use a jewellery clasp or you happen to run out of jewellery clasps and don't feel like making a midnight run to Michael's. 

And there you have it!  A cute little hippie dippie scrapbusting bracelet.  Obviously this is the kind of thing I wear on vacation, not to the office.  It would be fun for kids to make too.  Hmmm, wait a minute, what does that say about my sense of style???


Anyway, this is how fabulous my wrist would look if I were going to punch someone in the head....not that I would ever do that.....but my hand sort of looks like it there doesn't it?

I made another one in about 2 minutes flat with more strips of fabric.  I think I like this one better.

DIY jewellery, how to make a fabric bracelet, how to make your own jewellery, scrapbuster

I think this is the kind of thing that Steven Tyler might wear.  Maybe I should send him one and see if it shows up on American Idol.


Yes, I am in a very weird mood today.  (It's fiscal year end at work and I can't wait until it's over!)

So, happy crafting!  Give it a try and let me see what your version looks like.  I've added some fun new linky parties to visit, so check out the tab up top.

Have a great weekend everyone!

9 comments:

Little City Farm said...

LOL - oh yes, definitely send it to him. Wouldn't that be hilarious if he wore it.

Lori said...

Great look, my daughter is breaking out the craft stuff as I type. I'm so glad I found your blog via Addicts Anonymous. I am now a new follower so we can stay connected. I would love if you would stop by and follow too. Lori

singh.nishtha@gmail.com said...

Hey,

You MUST send it to Steven Tyler, he will most definitely wear it..

Its a great idea...Im going to make it for myself too...

Thanks so much...


-May ART be with you.

Jill said...

Great idea for a bracelet Tamara! Definitely star quality!


Just stopped by to let you know that I featured your undies from t-shirts on my round tuit post this week!
Round Tuit 54
Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Amy said...

This is really cute, I just love your ideas! I agree with everyone else, you must send one to him!!

I've been having the same kind of week. I've totally lost my sewing mojo. Poopers.

xoxo

Unknown said...

Super cute! I love the colors! It's very Steven Tylerish! :)

I'd love for you to link up to Crafty Cousins.
http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-i-wore-sunday-week-10.html

~Natalie @ Crafty Cousins.

Holla! We're your newest followers! :)

Happy in red said...

I luuuuuuuurve Steven Tyler ;-) Great bracelet! Esther.

Unknown said...

You should totally send it to him! I could see rock stars wearing your creations!:) I love the bracelet I bet my pre-teen boy would even wear it. Thanks for partying with us this week.

Abbie said...

Fun use for scraps, Esther!

I laughed at your "punch someone in the head" comment. : )

Thanks for linking up at Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL!

~Abbie

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...