Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Summer Essential: The Maxi Dress

What's the one boho chic thing you need in your closet for the summer????  The Maxi Dress of course!  I love maxi dresses.  They're so comfy, they're easy to dress up or down, and they make you look sooooooooooo tall!

maxi dress, boho dress, boho chic, summer dress, long dress

This is a Cynthia Rowley design for Simplicity.  At first I had a hard time figuring out the waistband but once I figured that out it was smooth sailing. 

maxi dress, boho dress, boho chic, summer dress, long dress
Still in the Simplicity stock line-up!
The straps are self made bias binding.  I was nervous about this part because I figured there was no way the straps would end up being the right length, but they were!  They fit perfectly.

maxi dress, boho dress, boho chic, summer dress, long dress, Simplicity

Here's a close-up of the pattern on the fabric.  It's a very slippery slidey polyester.  I know, I know, euwwwww.  Everyone hates polyester.  But sometimes it works.  Sometimes it flows, and sometimes it washes 10 times better than other fabrics....so sometimes I use it.  Besides, I figure if I'm going for a 70's vibe I might as well go all the way~

maxi dress, boho dress, boho chic, summer dress, long dress, Simplicity

And because I like you guys so much I'm going to share another maxi dress!  (Two for one, just for you)

maxi dress, boho dress, boho chic, summer dress, long dress, Simplicity

For this one I used this great vintage pattern from 1979.

maxi dress, boho dress, boho chic, summer dress, long dress, Simplicity

The pattern is a sort of basket weave look (yes, more polyester).

maxi dress, boho dress, boho chic, summer dress, long dress, Simplicity

How about you?  Do you go for the maxi dress?  I think they're great for everyone, every size, every shape.  There are so many variations.   What's your summer go to outfit?  Leave a comment~


21 comments:

aStarToSteerHerBy said...

very cute! I love the fabric choices!!!! I'm a big fan of summer dresses myself as a go to outfit! When it's 95 degrees out though, the maxi is too hot for me!

Chef in Training said...

SO CUTE! I love these dresses and your is super cute! Your fabric choice is beautiful! I found your blog through a link party and i LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

~Beth D. said...

the fabric is gorgeous! i love the dress as well.

By the Bluegrass said...

So cute! you did a fantastic job and I love the fabric!
xo,
Sena

AllieMakes! said...

So cute! Maxi's are one of my favs! Cuz I need more height (lol at 5'10"...) Those look fabulous!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Spittin-Toad said...

Wow-I love them both...and by the way they look better on you than the models!! :)
Denise

Anonymous said...

I love them both! You have the perfect figure to pull them off!!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

This dress is awesome! You did such a good job!

Rita said...

They look great! I love maxi dresses and skirts. http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/

WobiSobi said...

You are so very talented!! and beautiful! Love both of these dresses!!!!!

Mindy said...

Love these! You look great, of course!

Rita@martenssmily said...

Very cute!!! Good job!!! :)

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Great job on the dresses. So pretty!

the gathering girls said...

Lovely dresses, nice fabric choices!

April said...

Love it! You did a fabulous job! ~April @ Wildflowers & Whimsy

Jenn said...

Great designs!

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

Beautiful! Both your dresses came out just gorgeous, and you look like you're a billion feet tall in them . . . very nice :-) Great work! I love it!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

this is so cute! i've been wanting to find a maxi dress that looks good on me! this one looks fab on you! :)

Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday !!

Anonymous said...

I love maxi dresses too! Yours are so pretty.....they are so perfect for summer!

Amy said...

You did a great job, love the fabric!! I also love to wear maxi dresses, they are so comfy!

Teaching with Grace said...

I love both of your dresses! These are so great!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...