Friday, June 17, 2011

Summer Drink Umbrella - ella - ella - ellas

What's the best way to dress up a summer drink and make you feel like you're somewhere other than your backyard???   Turn up the Rhianna and add an umbrella to your glass!

Kidding, you can skip the Rhianna but a little drink umbrella never hurt anyone.  And to top it off, it's a super fast craft that helps you use up those pieces of scrap paper you know you've been saving for who knows what.

Depending on how many you're going to make, this will take you about 5 minutes, if that.  Even less if you  have a fancy dance cutting machine (like I do!!!!!)

Here's what you need:

Nix the glue gun, I didn't need it after all~
I'm going to do this the old fashioned way so that you guys don't think I've become a Silhouette snob.

Steps:
1) Use a circle template (or a tin can) and trace circles onto the back of your paper.  I used a 2.5"circle but you can make them as big or as small as you want.


2) Cut out your circles.


3) Mark the centre of your circle and draw a small pie shape to the outer edge.  You can also just wing it and go straight to cutting if you're confident.


4) Cut out the pie shape.


5) Dab some glue onto one edge of the circle where the pie shape came out of and press down the other side on top.
 6) I thought I would need a little dab of hot glue for this next step but you really don't.  Just take a toothpick and stab it through the point at the top.


Voila!

DIY Drink Umbrellas, Drink umbrellas, Easy crafting

Now, if I were Martha Stewart I'd probably be adding handmade vintage lace to the edges or something crazy like that but instead I  just made some slightly more fancy dancy ones with a scalloped edge with my new Silhouette machine~

DIY Drink Umbrellas, Drink umbrellas, Easy crafting

And of course, I can't let you out of here without this:

                            


Have a great weekend everyone!!

Check out the linky parties for more fun ideas, and don't forget, if you've hit the follow button on the side bar, you can add your blog button on the "Follow My Friends" tab for free.  Check out the last bloggy friend feature here.

10 comments:

WobiSobi said...

So very cute, and what a great Idea for a summer party!!

Richella Parham said...

These are absolutely darling. Any drink is better with an umbrella, I think! I remember my mother and father going to a restaurant in Memphis called "The Luau"--this was ages ago!--and always having a wonderful time there. I liked it when they went there because my mom always brought me the umbrella from her drink! :)

Stopping by from Amanda's party.

~Iffy~ @ StayAtHomeNation said...

Adorable....makes me want a pina colada lol. Stopping by from the along for the ride party. I would LOVE for you to come link up to my party too & if you have time check out my giveaway going on until Sunday at midnight. Keep up the creativeness!
~Iffy~
www.StayAtHomeNation.blogspot.com

Lovely Light said...

Hi there- found you through Sundae Scoops's hop and am a new follower. This looks so easy! And I love how you can color coordinate or use prints on them! I hope you have time to follow my life in South Africa by http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com

Have a great weekend!

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy said...

OMG that is great! I'm going to make these for my next Patio Date with my hubby. I'm your newest follower.

~Macy www.craftyconfessions.com

Gen said...

so cute may make some of these for my wedding party! Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

You are always so clever and creative!! These are adorable. Congrats on the new Silhouette. I am totally green with envy!

Amy Dearie, PaperCrafter and Stampin UP Demonstrator said...

Super Cute! I just did some last week for a party using my Sizzix. Should be posting soon! Love this new idea! Die Cutting makes everything easier but it was nice of you to show the "old school" way! ;)

Unknown said...

Cute addition to hose yummy drinks! i could go for one or two of those about now!

Carolyn said...

Super easy, super cute! Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...