Friday, February 1, 2013

Gold Disc Necklace

I know how many of you liked my paper earrings project (It still blows my mind how much it's pinned) and now I have another fun paper jewellery project to share with you.

paper jewellery, paper necklace, designer knock off


I was inspired by this beautiful necklace:
                                                                      Source: rstyle.me via Etcetorize on Pinterest

The original is 24 karat hammered gold discs, designed by HervĂ© Van Der Straeten and goes for a cool $970.  Just a little out of my price range...so I made my own!

Here's what you need to make one too:


Materials:
-heavy weight glitter paper
-medium weight scrapbooking paper
-Mod Podge and sponge brush (or your preferred adhesive)
-sharp craft knife or scissors and cutting mat
-metallic embroidery thread
-circle templates

Steps:
1) I almost went for some beautiful peacock feather printed glitter paper but in the end decided to stick with the inspiration.  It's good to use something heavier weight so that it will lay properly on your necklace.  Start by cutting various sized discs from your glitter paper.
Cutting from the backside.
This paper is too thick for my electronic cutter
so I just used a knife.
My discs are 1", 1.5", 2", and 2.5".

2) Make another set of discs from your scrapbooking paper.  This will go on the back of each of your discs so make sure you have enough that match in size.


3) It's not a bad idea to cut just a tiny smidge off the edge of each of your backing discs to  make sure you can't see them when they're glued together.


4) Cut a piece of metallic embroidery thread approximately 1.2 metres (47").


5) Tie the ends together and snip off any excess.


6) Now just make a little sandwich with your glitter paper, the embroidery thread (towards the edge), and the backing paper.  I found it worked easiest to just spread the Mod Podge onto the backing paper and then just snap it all together.



Place your discs willy nilly all over the thread, being careful not to twist your thread or your discs won't lay the right way when you put it on.

Voila!  You've just saved yourself at least $967!!

I might need to add more discs~
Here are some other paper jewellery projects from the past:

You can find all of these by clicking on the
TUTORIALS Tab
up top~
Have a crafty weekend everyone!  Don't be afraid to leave a comment below~

14 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Very cute! I think it looks very '60s.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!! Seriously, such a steal to make compared to buying (I can't believe it costs that much!! Whoa!!). And I love those earrings, too, that you linked to. Totally doesn't surprise me that those were pinned so much on Pinterest.

Holly Lefevre said...

I love this and cannot wait to try it myself - so chic and fun!

Ana Love Craft said...

Hi Tamara, too gorgeous necklace! Thanks so much for sharing the amazing tutorial!
Have a fabulous week!
Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Little City Farm said...

Wow, your version turned out fabulous. And I have to say (even though it isn't all that new anymore), I just adore your hair every time I see it.

the cape on the corner said...

yours looks spot on! great job!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Super cute! Thanks for linking up at my Pin Me Linky Party.

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Tamara-

I love this..especially paired with a black shirt or sweater. Pinning. :)

Hope you are well,
Nicolette

Emily Thompson said...

ooo that turned out super cute!!!

Katie @ Creatively Living said...

Great knock-off! What a fun piece!

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

Beautiful! Love your style! I totally do that too - see something cool but expensive and make it myself :)

♫♪♫ Mardi said...

Very cute! I like the necklace!

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

Fantastic idea, I love this! Very clever.

Robin Chaffins said...

I love it and already have everything here to make it.





i have black glitter paper that will look great. Thanks!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...