Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Show and Tell: Resort wear

I made a big decision this week:  I am going to fight back and not let the winter blues get to me this year.  It happens every year from about Dec/Jan until the spring.  I just feel blah, feel like I look blah, and generally have a very blah outlook on life.  Well not this year!

The first step was to get my mojo back by going to the hairdresser for a proper cut and colour.  I've been trying to save money by doing it myself but that was not really going very well (which is why I had to cut my head off in last week's Show and Tell).

The next step was to turn on the Travel Channel and start dreaming about getaways.  After my trip to India last year I promised myself that my next voyage would be someplace much, much easier.  I say that after every crazy overseas adventure that has me hiking through jungles and mountains at 6 am, but this time I really mean it.  Right now I'm dreaming of Bora Bora.  I was planning on making it happen in the spring after the rainy season there but my sister asked me to go to Vegas in March, which isn't my usual type of trip but I'm actually really excited to go.  So, I think Bora Bora will wait until the fall with Vegas up first.
                             
Bora Bora, French Polynesia
The next step was to start thinking about a wardrobe!  These images are what I used as my inspiration.  Keep in mind that I wasn't trying to copy the pieces, only trying to capture the vibe.

(I pulled these images ages ago and totally forget the sources...oops~)
And here are some things that I made over the weekend:

Just a cute easy top with some pretty shimmer in it for a casual dinner out.


I had originally planned on making this for my shop but I fell in love with it as I was sewing, so it's mine now~


Again, this fabric was intended for something in the shop, but I wanted a fun and easy caftanesque piece and this fabric was the perfect fit.


And this last one I made last summer but since it's the same idea I'll share it with you.

(This is actually my version of the white Halston dress Carrie
wears at the beginning of Sex and the City 2)

Leave a comment and let me know what you do to keep the winter blues away. Today was a balmy -24 degrees (Celsius, and yes that is a minus sign in front), but I think as long as my head is in Bora Bora I'll be OK.

I'll be posting at the linky parties so make sure to check out the party tab up top. 

And don't forget to join the Spool Party if you've made a Spooling project!

17 comments:

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Tamara-

Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice Thursday...

To beat the winter blues, I take vitamin D. And paint. And cook. And just keep myself generally busy.

Love. all. of. your. blouses. wow.

I need a new wardrobe STAT.

{starting 2/1...I am hosting a beat the winter blues party with Karen from Goodbye City Hello Suburbs and some other surprise bloggers!}

Christine said...

these are cute! I have a hot tub in my yard, even when its cold, I can take a 15 minute mini-vacation every night ;-)

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Very pretty! Love it! Sometimes I wish I could sew...

chris said...

To help me this year, I made some wintry decorations in light but bright colors. I try to get as much sun as possible, and have a little dark chocolate.

AllieMakes! said...

SO sweet! I just love your style! Thank you for participating each week!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Tracy said...

Love the dresses! I found you through MBYM and you are so talented!

To permanently chase away the winter blues, I moved to Florida 10 years ago! Although it's quite rainy and cold for us here today :)

Anonymous said...

They are all so pretty!

Kristen said...

Those are gorgeous. Very tropical. I hope there is a heat wave through your area soon. Yikes that's cold.

Heather* said...

would LOVE to see a tute for these dresses!

Bethany @ Our 4 Sons Plus 1...Super Cute Girly Girl said...

I'm in New England and am so with you on the whole winter blah thing...ugh! I think you've got the right idea, though- dreaming of Bora Bora and whipping up a beautiful, fun wardrobe for it! Well done!

Etcetorize said...

Thanks for all the great ideas guys! Update for you: we're heading into the worst part of winter for us here. Every morning I have to decide if this is the day that I wear my ski pants to walk to work in. Instead of a humidity or smog factor, we have the wind chill factor. So today is something like -28, but with the wind it feels like -36! AHHHHH Bora Bora here I come~

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Tamara-

You've been features this week! I love these blouses...gorgeous!

Thanks for linking up last week &

Hope to see you back this week at Creative Juice Thursday

<3
Nicolette

Ali said...

These are beautiful! I love them all & would really like to try to create one or two for myself. If you don't mind, please do share a tute. Again, beautiful!

Heather said...

I love all of them! Especially the 1st and 2nd one...I've faved your shop on Etsy to keep a lookout for these!!

Jess said...

Just wanted to let you know I featured this today on FTF! Thanks so much for linking and grab a featured button if you would like! Thanks!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

i looove the pink top! great job!

http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

Dominique @ Craft Couture said...

I LOVE the first top you made! So pretty, I want it! lol
new follower :)
dominiquescraftcouture.blogspot.com

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...