Friday, May 31, 2013

Easiest Lace Skirt Ever!!

Well, it's the end of Lace Week here at Etcetorize so I thought I'd finish up with a fun tutorial.



Here's what I started with at the beginning of the week~


See that lace to the left?  Well, here's what it really looks like on it's own.


It's about 15" wide!


I originally picked it for my Wholeport shipment to make some sleeves on a pretty top but when I had it in my hands I could only see it as a pretty little mini skirt.

Here's what you need to make the easiest skirt ever!

Materials:
-Super duper extra wide lace and matching lining fabric
-standard sewing kit: sewing machine, pins, measuring tape, thread, scissors
-waist elastic

Steps:
1) The first thing you need to do is cut your lining to match your piece of lace.  My lace is just under 1 metre long and about 15" wide.  Consider this is size XS-S.  If you're making a larger size you'll need a longer piece of lace.  Just wrap it around your hips and add extra for a seam to figure out how much you'll need.

Pin your lace directly onto your lining fabric, one layer of each.  I didn't even hem my lining because it won't fray.  So, I lined up the bottom edge of my lace a little lower than the lining so that it won't show.  Be generous with your pins so that everything doesn't slip on you.



2) Even out your lace and cut your lining at the same time.  The top edge of my lace was pretty jaggedy so I gave it just a tiny bit of a trim.  I couldn't afford to lose too much on the length of the skirt so I trimmed the least amount possible.

Don't forget to make sure that your ends are also straight and even too.


3) Keeping your lace and lining together, make a tube and stitch the ends together.


4) Set your skirt body aside and cut enough elastic to fit comfortably around your waist plus about a 1" overlap.

Sew the ends together.


I usually don't care what my stitching on my elastic looks like because no one can see it in a casing, but there's a chance with this skirt that people might catch a glimpse of your waistline so try to be tidy with your stitches.


5) Divide your elastic and waistline of skirt into fourths.  Just pin directly across from your back seam, then bring those spots together and pin the ends again to find the fourths.  Do the same with your skirt body.  If you're making a larger size you may want to divide into eighths.


5) Now all that's left to do is to attach your elastic waistband to your skirt.  There are lots of ways to do this but like I said up top, I didn't want to lose any length of fabric of my skirt towards my waistband so I attached the elastic on the outside, right on top of the fabric.

Match up the pins your marked with in step 4 on the elastic and the skirt, overlapping the fabric onto the back of the elastic about a half inch.


6) Use a straight stitch to sew the elastic onto the fabric, gently pulling the elastic as it glides under your presser foot.  This will ensure a nice even gather.




Don't forget to remove all those pins that were holding your lace and lining together, because guess what?!?!!  You're done!


I'm pretty sure my mini skirt wearing days are long behind me but I just couldn't resist making this cute little wardrobe staple.  It's super easy to dress up and with a long light sweater you can wear it in the daytime too!


I hope you've enjoyed Lace Week!  Don't forget, if you want to find your own lace pieces for awesome prices, just head over to Wholeport....or join their Sponsorship Program and you can get your own supplies for free too!

So, how old is too old to wear a short skirt?  I know what all the magazines say but I want to hear what you think.  Leave a comment below and let me know if I can pull this off or if it's something I need to give to a younger friend~

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Would love for you to share this at my link up where we pin all those who join to our party board http://myfashionforwardblog.com/2013/05/30/all-things-pretty-10/

Unknown said...

I am sooo doing this I am a sucker for all things lace! I love how summery this is.

Here from the Love and Laundry link up...

Jessica Cobb said...

I love this project! Amazing and so easy. I pinned this and will be scouring thrift stores for some awesome vintage lace curtains to use. Thanks!

Oh! And I am your newest follower on GFC, I'll be back for sure!

www.domesticblisssquared.com

romi said...

In my opinion, the fact that if a woman can wear mini skirts has to do with her legs 70% and her style 30%.And not with her age. There are teenagers that look bad in mini skirts and mature ladies that look great. I think you have both: great legs and right style.If I were you I wouldn't miss an occasion to show off this super legs in mini skirts. And what about your age? You are hardly 45 , why do you talk like you are 67?
love
Eleni

Chelsea B. said...

This is super cute! And so simple! Thanks for sharing.

Pattern Party starts the 1st of each month.
Get Your Crap Together

Elise Engh said...

This is so so pretty! Thanks for the tutorial :)

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

This is cute!

Visiting form the Adorned From Above Blog Hop!

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
Exercise Encouragement Group Blog

Katie @ Creatively Living said...

Fantastic project! I love the way it turned out! Thanks for sharing it at Monday Funday!

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

What an adorable skirt. I like to make lace overlay skirts and then change the lining (slip) to different colors. Your skirt is just lovely and that lace is to die for!!! Hugs, Beverly Tea Cottage Pretties

Anonymous said...

wow! what a great project! it looks amazing!

Susan@Organized31 said...

You had me at easiest! My teen daughters will be excited to make their own. I'd love if you'd come and share at Inspire Us Thursday http://organized31.blogspot.com/2013/06/inspire-us-thursday-link-party-2.html

Adorned From Above said...

This skirt is adorable and so easy.
Have a great week.
Debi and Charly

Beckey said...

Visiting via Adorned from Above bloghop. This skirt is sooo cute. I wonder if I can find lace long enough to hit the top of my knee? ;0)

Foxyfashions said...

I am probably the only guy that sews and follows the ideas and sewing help here. I have to agree with Romi(Eleni)! from the pictures of you in the skirt you have both the right shape and the legs to pull off wearing a short skirt this is not really a mini,but, you could wear a mini. I love how easy this skirt is and hope to make one soon. I love making women's clothes, I have been a little lazy lately but, have urge to get sewing again, even though my guy friends make fun of my girly hobby of sewing. I tell them many of the top designers are and have been men.
I like making pretty dresses, gowns, cocktail dresses, next on agenda lingerie and swimsuits.

So thanks for sharing and keep wearing short skirts and minis! You look fabulous in my opinion and I do have an eye for what looks good on women and what looks dumpy, so take it from a guys observation

Cathy C Capasso said...

I have black fabric with edge detail that I have been looking for the perfect pattern and this is it!

To answer your question about how old is too old to wear a mini skirt-when your body can't support it any more. I believe it comes down to how well you look. Clothes should always compliment.

Grandma Sue said...

If you want a skirt longer than the lace you have, how about sewing one length atop the other. Not a regular seam but a tier. I neither am the age or the shape to wear a mini. Just above the knee is as short as I go. I am nearly 72.

Harvard Grrrrl said...

At 49, I still wear short skirts. However, I am petite, so short skirts on me are not as short as on others. I mini skirt usually hits me just above the knee. No problem

karin said...

thanks for the tutorial , this skirt sounds amazing

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...