Friday, August 17, 2012

Pretty Dominoes

I was one of those kids who always kept things in their original packaging.  I was also one of those kids who rarely threw anything away.  So, when I came across my childhood domino set in it's original box in pristine condition I threw caution to the wind and gave them a total overhaul.

#mod podge, dominoes, decoupage, vintage games

 
If you want to make a pretty set of your own, here's what you need:


Materials
-Set of wooden dominoes
-Mod Podge gloss and Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
-Spray paint or acrylic paint
-paint brush
-pretty papers

Steps:

1) If you're super serious about crafting you will want to sand and prime your dominoes.  I am not that serious, so I just lined them all up and gave them several coats of spray paint.



I went back and forth on the idea of sanding down the edges to give them a shabby chic look but in the end decided that wasn't a good idea.  All of the tiles should look the same when they're turned over and they shouldn't have any distinguishing marks on them.  So... I just left them as is.

2) While you're waiting for your tiles to dry, pick out your pretty papers.  You need a different paper for every number you have (six).  You can cover the blanks too but this could be a little confusing when you're playing.  It's best to just leave them blank.

3) You're probably still waiting for your paint to dry so now's a good time to cut out your tiny little squares of paper to cover each of the numbers.  I used my Silhouette but you could do this by hand.  My squares are 18millimetres square.  Make sure to pre-measure your tiles to see if it's the same before you start cutting.

I was originally going to cover the blanks,
that's why there's seven tiles,
but I changed my mind~
4) Once your paint has finally dried, start adhering your papers.  The easiest way to do it is one number at a time.  Gather all of the one's and paste down the same paper on top of each of them, then all of the two's and so on.


I found it easier to brush the glue onto the backs of the paper squares instead of directly onto the tiles.

5) Next add a nice thick layer of Dimensional Magic to the entire top of your dominoes.


This gives them a super glossy, resin look.


It goes on a bit milky but dries super clear.  Just watch for air bubbles.  I put mine on so thick I had to let them dry overnight.


I couldn't put these lovely tiles back into their old box so I even made them a new holder!


Gorgeous!  Now I just need to find someone to play with~

Have a crafty week everyone!

16 comments:

Sunny Simple Life said...

You managed to even make dominoes pretty. How clever!!

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

What a cute idea Tamara dear..they are looking so nice!

Little City Farm said...

Those are easily the most beautiful dominoes I have ever seen. Love the colours you choose. How in the world did you think to remake them? Gorgeous.

Cranberry Morning said...

Of course your great grandchildren will never get to take them to Antiques Roadshow ;-) But they are REALLY pretty!! :-)

Frances said...

They are so pretty! I just discovered Dimensional Magic and love it so much I want to put it on everything. Great project idea.

Carrol said...

I've just started reading your blog and catching up on your past posts. Thanks so much for this and all of your other crafty news. I'm looking forward to your next post!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Oh those are just gorgeous! I love the paper designs. How great to do something so fun with a childhood toy! Looks to me like you've made a family heirloom. Happy to be following you via GFC and looking forward to more!

Bobi Jensen said...

Very cute blog! I'm your newest follower :)

Bobi
http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com

Donna Wilkes said...

Guess what those are very rare dominoes!!! Just kidding. I have stacks of these - this is a good use for combining incomplete sets into complete ones, right? The numbers are covered. Love the box!

Nicole said...

Those are gorgeous! They look so classy.

Cheerios and Lattes said...

These look so beautiful. Thanks for sharing at Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you be back this week with more great stuff!
-Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

Christie said...

Oh my gosh these are amazing!! Cute idea :)

Sarah Tackett said...

Great idea!

Unknown said...

LOVE this! :D

Unknown said...

LOVE this! :D

Jill said...

That's so cute Tamara! I've never seen dominos prettied up before!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous weekend!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...