Friday, January 6, 2012

Book of Dreams, Goals, or Whatever

Is that an inspiring title or what?  Contrary to how it may sound, I'm actually pretty excited about today's project.  I'm not really into the whole New Year's Resolution thing but I am a goal setter.  What's the difference?  I don't know, but I'm rarely successful at resolutions.  Goals are a whole other story.

I thought this might be a fun (and oh so pretty) way of giving myself something to accomplish each and every month of this year.  It's just a notebook, but it's a very special notebook!

I don't have a pic of the materials needed because the whole project changed about half way through, but here's a list:
-Scrapbook paper/ card stock
-heavy chip board
-envelopes
-glue/mod podge/ snail - whatever adhesive you like to use
-ribbon
-scissors
-embellishments

Steps:
1) I had this heavy duty chip board from some package or something.  I knew it would come in handy some day and it finally did!  I cut it in half, making sure that it would still be larger than my envelopes.

2) Cut some pretty paper the same size as your chipboard and cover one side of each piece.  This will be the outside of your book.


3) Cut some pretty ribbon to make ties for your book.  Glue each piece to the centre of the inside of your book covers.

4) Cut some more lovely paper for the inside of your covers and paste it on, over top of your ribbon.


5) Now here's where things got a bit complicated for me.  It's not complicated, but I made it so.  I wanted to make the inside pages of the book out of envelopes but couldn't figure out how to do it.  At first I glued all of my envelopes to ribbon and was going to make a ribbon binding.


Don't do this!  It won't work and it'll mix up your mind for days.

What I ended up doing was making a spine from cardstock.
6) I cut my paper to size, scored it a half inch, and then every inch after that, and folded it accordion style.


7) I had to glue the two accordions together to make 12 slots for my envelopes.

8) Now you can glue your envelopes into each slot and then adhere to your chipboard covers.


9) And now we get ready for the fun part!  Embellishing!  I started by edging the covers with a gold marker.


10) Next I added some stickers with all of the names of the months on them from a birthday calendar project that never did get started.


11) And now add the blingity bling bling!  Go to town.  Make it pretty so that you'll want to pick up your book and look through it all the time.


You can use this for all kinds of things.  Things to do, birthday ideas, blog project ideas, anything at all!

handmade book, goal setting, envelope book, how to make a book from envelopes, DIY book, easy crafts

Take a look at what's inside my February envelope!!!!  I'm very excited about this!  And I'm making it happen.  So awesome!  (more info to come later~)


I'm not 100% sure I'm done with this little project.  I can't decide if I should let the accordion be or tie it down so it doesn't get out of control.  The nice thing with the way it is now though is that I can fill my book as much as I want.  It's always good to dream big, isn't it???

What are you doing with your New Years Resolutions, goals, whatever?  Did you write them down?  One of the absolute best "self help" books I've ever read (and I've read many) is called "Write it Down, Make it Happen" by Henriette Anne Klauser .  If you really want those goals/dreams/resolutions to happen...write them down~

Don't forget to make my day and a leave a comment~

16 comments:

Jan said...

What a clever idea. The folds are a brilliant solution.

Your February goal looks warm and exciting. I like the idea of writing down the goals. I always have a notebook with me. It just never looks as pretty as yours.

Sunny Simple Life said...

You are so creative. I bought myself a cute book to use for things I want to jot down this year but thanks for the tip on the book. I would love to see if our library has it.

Lindsey said...

This came out very cute! Love your blog btw. Very creative :)

Unknown said...

Great idea!

Special 'K' said...

Finding so many great ideas. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope twenty twelve is everything you wish for and more. I am so glad I found you. I will follow on my way out so I can revisit. I hope you can find the time to come visit me and do the same. I look forward to engaging throughout the year. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

Catrin said...

I really like it and it is super useful. Thanks for sharing. I might just go ahead and make my own for 2012...
Greetings from Germany
Catrin

Xazmin said...

What a fun idea! I love this! I'm stopping by from Serenity Now, and I'm pretty sure I have all the supplies to do this project - can't wait!

Little City Farm said...

Very pretty - and I cannot wait to see where you end up in February. Woohoo. I always write my stuff down as well - many, many times in different places, lol.

Abbie said...

This is such a brilliant idea! It makes goal so much more funny to put them in something this pretty! : )

Thanks SO much for linking up your awesome posts @ Feature Friday Free-for-All!

~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

very clever idea!

Natasha

www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Jill said...

What a great little book Tamara! You're absolutely right about writing things down! And for me - writing them on my blog for all to see helps keep me accountable too!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Blissful & Domestic said...

What an absolutely cute idea for staying organized this year! I am having a homemade Year on my blog Blissful and Domestic and would LOVE for you to link up to my Homemade Year Linky Party:)

http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/p/my-homemade-year-linky-party.html

Janel from NellieBellie said...

This is so pretty! What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty!

Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

This is adorable!! Great job!! Stopping by from Sew Can Do linky party and your newest follower here and on Pinterest.

Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-first-amp-cover.html

Little City Farm said...

I always get excited as I cursor down to see how you've embellished something. I don't have that type of creative mind so I love to watch yours at work. Thanks so much for linking up to our party this week.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...