Friday, July 12, 2013

Pinspired Message Board

I'm still here!  If you hang out here regularly you may have noticed that things were a little quiet around Etcetorize this week. Sorry about that.  Life at my real job has been insanely busy so when I get home, just about the only thing I have enough energy for is to lie on the hammock and enjoy the sunshine.

However, bit by bit I did succeed in making one thing this week:


 
I saw something similar on pinterest and knew right away I had to make some for my niece and nephew.

Here's what you need to make your own:

My mind was on auto-pilot when I took this photo so I'm
missing a few things, check out the list below.
Supplies
-pretty paper for background and solid paper or cut outs for lettering (or a printer if you're really smart and can figure out how to send scrapbooking paper through a printer)
-frame
-craft knife and straight edge
-paint and sponge brush
-glue runner or other adhesive
-sticky back velcro dots
-markers (I used dry erase but I think regular markers would work too)

Steps:
1) Take your thrift store frame apart and give it a good coat of paint (or in my case 3!)


2) While that's drying, use the frame backing to as a template to cut out your background paper.


3) Cut out your permanent letting that will sit behind the glass of the frame.  I used my Silhouette but you could also use pre-cut alphabet shapes to save time.

I desperately need new mats for my Silhouette!

This would've been the perfect project for my adhesive backed paper from Silhouette but I forgot I had it until I already had all my letters cut out~

4) If you took the long route and cut out your letters like me, use a glue runner to adhere them to the background paper.  You don't have to get every nook and cranny because the glass of the frame will hold everything in place for you.


5) Put your frame back together with your page under the glass.


6) Add a velcro dot to the side of your marker and another to the side or bottom of your frame for it to connect to when not in use.


TAH DAH!



Loved it so much I made two!




I'm putting 3M strips on the back of each one so the kids can hang this on their bedroom doors.  Then mom or dad, or whoever, can write them a new message everyday!  Wouldn't you love to wake up in the morning and find out why someone loves you so much?

Here's the original project from Lulbelleblog.com

love it :)  A personal dry erase message board we can make ourselves!  Love her muslin roses too.
She's selling these in her Etsy shop.
I wouldn't normally rip off someone's Etsy product
however her shop appears closed with no merchandise
so I don't feel so bad~

If you made one these for someone special what would you write on it?  Leave a comment below.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this! Such a sweet idea!

Ritchil
http://chengand3kids.blogspot.com/

Jan said...

Great idea. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Very clever idea! It is a great reminder to parents too to give positive feedback. Children need to see it and this is a great way to show appreciation. Awesome!

Jill said...

That is such a lovely idea Tamara! I'm going to pin it to make some with my girls!!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing at my Pin Me Linky Party!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...