Today is day two and I'm making not one, not two, but THREE bird ornaments. I have no clue what turtle doves look like but I'm calling these things turtle doves~
1) Print out or draw a bird shape similar to below to use as a template. You can use regular old printer paper.
2) Use your template to cut out two birds from your pretty scrapbook paper.
Remember to flip your template so that you have two facing opposite ways.
3) For this first bird, I used Alene's tacky glue to stick the two bird pieces together, wrong sides facing.
4) Set your bird body aside and cut a small sized paper doily in half.
5) Coat each doily half in glue, one at a time or you glue will dry too quickly.
6) Coat your doily half in glitter.
7) Add a bead of glue along the top of the bird's body.
8) Line up the edge of one of your paper doily pieces with the bead of glue. Your glue strip should be slightly narrower than the doily. This allows you to scrunch it up. Don't worry about wrinkles, just scrunch it on there and press down.
5) Cut a piece of ribbon about 4"-6" long and glue to the wing (the paper doily). This is what you'll hang your ornament with. Then you can just add some glitter or rhinestones for the eyes.
So, that's one down. But I wasn't totally over the moon with the result so I thought I'd make another one using Mod Podge instead of Tacky glue...so much easier to put together.
I still used the tacky glue to adhere the wing to the body but to attach the bodies together and to add glitter I used Mod Podge.
I love how this one turned out!
Not sure if you can tell but, it's a sort of iridescent white glitter on the wings. Oooooh la la~
So, even though I was happy with two turtle doves I thought I could probably kick it up one more notch.
This time I used Dimensional Mod Podge on the right side of the bird body to get a really shiny and slick finish on it.
Once it dried it was super shiny!
You can use any shape, any colours, and any embellishments to really personalize yours. The sky is the limit. They're so simple but I think they're so pretty.
Don't forget to head over to Cabin Fevered Gem to see what she came up with.
Are you participating in the Christmas Ornament Challenge? You can link up your creations on the Make It Great Linky party. It's open all week!
And don't forget to enter the surprise giveaway HERE . Good luck~