I haven't worn large gold hoops for awhile so I decided to wrap them up and make them pretty! Here's what you need to make your own:
-hoops earrings (or a bangle-shown at the end of the post)
-light gauge wire
-wire cutters, scissors
-optional: flat head pliers
1) Depending on the size of your earrings, cut a piece of embroidery thread 1.5 - 2 metres long. You'll be using all six threads as one so try not to separate them. Simply tie a regular double knot at one end of your thread onto the end of your earring.
2) You'll be doing what's known as a half hitch spiral knot. But don't think about the technical stuff, because this is one of the easiest knots ever.
Your 'holding cord' is your earring.
Pull tightly as you complete each knot. You'll notice after just a few stitches that you're creating a pretty spiral effect.
3) Just keep knotting over and over again until you go all the way around your entire earring and you're at the other side. Now just tie another regular knot. If you have some jewellery glue on hand you can add a dot, but it should be fine without.
4) Now cut a piece of light gauge wire (I have no clue what gauge I used as I was just stash busting and nothing has any labels. Just make sure it's easily pliable and can wrap easily.) about 1 metre long. About 3/4 of the way down from the front or back end of your earring, wrap your wire catching the end inside.
|Cris cross a couple of times to keep everything in place.|
6) Stop wrapping the wire about the 3/4 mark on the other side of the earring. Just wrap and cris cross to end it. If you have some flat head jewellery pliers you can give it a little squeeze to keep it all in place.
I loved how these turned out so much that I used the same techniques to make a bangle too!
This is an awesome stashbuster if you're like me and you have loads of beads and old jewellery just taking up space. I really want to try it using some variegated thread, but then I'd have to buy some, and that would sort of defeat the entire purpose of a stashbuster.
Do you have some supplies you need to use up? What sort of stashbusters do you like to make? Leave a comment below~
Great boho style, Tamara!
Love the bangles - I am trying these!
Really cute! Thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment