I was inspired by this beautiful necklace:
Source: rstyle.me via Etcetorize on Pinterest
The original is 24 karat hammered gold discs, designed by Hervé Van Der Straeten and goes for a cool $970. Just a little out of my price range...so I made my own!
Here's what you need to make one too:
-heavy weight glitter paper
-medium weight scrapbooking paper
-Mod Podge and sponge brush (or your preferred adhesive)
-sharp craft knife or scissors and cutting mat
-metallic embroidery thread
1) I almost went for some beautiful peacock feather printed glitter paper but in the end decided to stick with the inspiration. It's good to use something heavier weight so that it will lay properly on your necklace. Start by cutting various sized discs from your glitter paper.
|Cutting from the backside.|
This paper is too thick for my electronic cutter
so I just used a knife.
2) Make another set of discs from your scrapbooking paper. This will go on the back of each of your discs so make sure you have enough that match in size.
3) It's not a bad idea to cut just a tiny smidge off the edge of each of your backing discs to make sure you can't see them when they're glued together.
4) Cut a piece of metallic embroidery thread approximately 1.2 metres (47").
5) Tie the ends together and snip off any excess.
6) Now just make a little sandwich with your glitter paper, the embroidery thread (towards the edge), and the backing paper. I found it worked easiest to just spread the Mod Podge onto the backing paper and then just snap it all together.
Place your discs willy nilly all over the thread, being careful not to twist your thread or your discs won't lay the right way when you put it on.
Voila! You've just saved yourself at least $967!!
|I might need to add more discs~|
|You can find all of these by clicking on the|
Very cute! I think it looks very '60s.
Gorgeous!! Seriously, such a steal to make compared to buying (I can't believe it costs that much!! Whoa!!). And I love those earrings, too, that you linked to. Totally doesn't surprise me that those were pinned so much on Pinterest.
I love this and cannot wait to try it myself - so chic and fun!
Hi Tamara, too gorgeous necklace! Thanks so much for sharing the amazing tutorial!
Have a fabulous week!
Hugs from Portugal,
Ana Love Craft
Wow, your version turned out fabulous. And I have to say (even though it isn't all that new anymore), I just adore your hair every time I see it.
yours looks spot on! great job!
Super cute! Thanks for linking up at my Pin Me Linky Party.
I love this..especially paired with a black shirt or sweater. Pinning. :)
Hope you are well,
ooo that turned out super cute!!!
Great knock-off! What a fun piece!
Beautiful! Love your style! I totally do that too - see something cool but expensive and make it myself :)
Very cute! I like the necklace!
Fantastic idea, I love this! Very clever.
I love it and already have everything here to make it.
i have black glitter paper that will look great. Thanks!
Post a Comment