Friday, April 27, 2012

Oooooh! Look at all the butterflies!

My mind is all over the place this week.  I've got no less than 5 different projects going on my craft table this week and it's doing my head in.  So, today, you get not one, not two...but three crafts!  Lucky you~

I had a vague idea of what I wanted to do and I thought I wanted to do it with birds.  So, I went to the fabric store in search of beautiful bird patterned cotton, but nothing was really singing to me.

Then one of the sales ladies said, "Have you seen these?  We just got them in?"  I turned the corner and literally gasped out loud and quietly said "Oooooh!  Look at the butterflies!!!!". 

Luckily I know the sales lady fairly well and this was all par for the course for her.  She tried to steer me back to the birds but it was a lost cause, I was hypnotized by the butterflies.


Here are the supplies I started out with:


Steps:
1) I decided at first to cover a vase I had laying around.  I just cut my fabric slightly longer than my vase.


2) Painted on some Mod Podge.

3) Adhered the fabric, overlapping the ends just a bit.

4) For the top and bottom, you just make some little cuts across the extra fabric to give it just a bit more give around the rounded edges.



5) I added some pretty velvet ribbon and layered some other ribbon on top with a glue gun.


6) I felt like it was still missing something so I stuck on this pretty K & Company butterfly embellishment.

Mod podge, butterflies, butterfly vase, mod podge vase

It's pretty, but I didn't feel like it was my best work.

OH!  I almost forgot to show you my sad paper flower experiment.  I'm allergic to real flowers so I thought I could make my own out of pattern paper like I showed you from my pinterest board the other day.

paper flowers, flowers from sewing pattern, DIY Flowers

I'm less than impressed~

7) So, I got out this cute little jar with a lid.


8) Cut some butterflies out of my fabric.


9) And Mod Podged them onto the jar.  This time I just painted glue onto the backs of the butterflies because I wanted to keep the glass that wasn't covered clear.

What to put inside my pretty little jar????

DIY Candle holder,Butterfly candle holder, butteflies, mod podge

A candle looks gorgeous.

But then I remembered as I was wandering around blogland last week that I found an awesome recipe for a natural hand scrub from Whole New Mom .  It's so easy!  All I needed were these three ingredients.
You can use any kind of oil, any kind of sugar,
and any kind of natural oil. 
This is just what I had on hand~
Head over to Whole New Mom to get the recipe.

I poured my amazing smelling scrub into and my jar and voila!  I was finally satisfied.  I love it.  It feels amazing, smells incredible, and no, the carotino oil doesn't stain my skin! 

natural hand scrub, carotino oil scrub, butterfly container, butterflies, mod podge

OK, just 4 more projects to go~
What do you do when you mind is spinning out of control creatively?  I may need to take a break and watch some old movies tonight.  I'm sure I'll dive right back into all tomorrow though~

Have a crafty week everyone!  And feel free to send me some warm weather!!!  I think it might snow this weekend  :(

15 comments:

singh.nishtha@gmail.com said...

Hey,

This is an awesome and simple idea to make...

Great Work...

Little City Farm said...

Had to laugh at you gasping in the store. Those butterflies ARE gorgeous though and I love your new scrub jar.

Carrie said...

That fabric is SO pretty! I would have gasped too. ;-) Found you through the Craftionary linky, had to check out those butterflies!

Megan@Whimsically Homemade said...

Butterflies! So Springy. I love the vase. It's too cute!

Jill said...

Those butterflies are gorgeous Tamara! love what you've done with them!
I have to start writing down ideas when my creativity overflows - I end up with notes on scrap paper everywhere!!
Hope your weather is warming up!

Oh and I wanted to let you know that I featured your baby booties on my round tuit post this week!

Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Unknown said...

Great ideas!!! LOVE
Thanks for sharing at Sunday Round Up.
xoxo
Heather

Unknown said...

I just adore these butterfly jars! Such a clever idea to modpodge fabric butterflies... they look gorgeous!
Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @
http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/04/pink-hippo-party-77.html
I am also your newest follower!

Annie said...

I LOVE that fabric too! I have been looking, but have not seen butterfly fabric as beautiful as this one. And love how you used it on those jars...just so beautiful!

Emily Meyers said...

Hey there!! I just added myself to your followers for support, and wanted to invite you to check out an awesome Modcloth giveaway I'm having!

Hope to see you there! Thanks so much!
Emily

http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/05/giveaway-time-again.html

Tresa said...

Your projects are so neat and clever. I love the fabric.

cgammeter said...

Hi Tamara: I'm Connie at http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, your new GFC friend. I would just love it if you stop by and be mine, too.
These little glass containers are adorable. Thank you for sharing.

Shell said...

Love the butterfly candle jar. Perfect for spring and summer.

Marilyn said...

Sooo darling ;)) I wanted to know if you could please link them to my mother's day linky. It's a photo series but this will be perfect / inspiring for idea's.. :)) TY so much.. Link is..http://www.theartsygirlconnection.com/2012/05/counting-down-to-mothers-day-faf-13.html

WesternWilson said...

Lovely! For those of us who would like to source the fabric, do you have manufacturer, collection or designer info?

Thanks!

Etcetorize said...

The butterfly fabric is from the French Journal Collection by London Portfolio for Michael Miller Fabrics. The store I go to had three other pieces from the line and they were all gorgeous~

Tamara

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...