Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Is it a blanket?? or a Jogging suit??

I spotted these fleece throws in the bargain aisle at the end of the summer season a couple of years ago for a whopping $3 each.  I knew instantly that I wanted two of them, but not for curling up in front of a campfire with...but to use as fabric!


And here's what I made with them:


I am fully aware that the navy one looks like zebra stripes and that I am setting the precedent as the weird auntie who makes the kids funny outfits for Christmas.  My only saving grace is that these are meant to be worn as layering pieces for when the kids play outside in the winter....do you buy it?  I hope they do!


The girls one turned out a bit tie dye looking but I like it!


The edges had a nice little blanket stitch all the way around so I used that on the bottom hem of the pants and the edge of the hood.


It's a good thing I finally got around to making these.  One more year and I won't be able to fit a whole boys outfit on 1.5 metres of fabric.  They're both growing so tall so fast!

                           

Whenever you see steals like this remember to think of it purely as fabric instead of whatever is on the label. You'll find all sort of deals this way.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever made for someone for Christmas?  Leave a comment below....come on...'fess up!

10 comments:

PJ @ Planned in Pencil said...

These are so stinking cute! I love that you saw past the blanket and just looked at it as a piece of material!

When I was a kid I fashioned a fridge out of a box. Mostly by creating a door, dividing the inside into two pieces by adding a "shelf" and drawing on details. I wrapped it up and gave it to my grandma for Christmas. Told her it was a fridge for the play food at her house.

Little City Farm said...

I love these outfits and what a clever idea to use the blankets.

marysews said...

Those outfits are Awesome!

Brenda said...

I bought half a dozen of these great blankets last year when they were on sale for a couple bucks each. A super deal.
Great outfits!

ana@carpe_diem said...

last week I bought 3 blankets and made bathrobes for my kids. I hope they'll like them.
this year I sew a huuuge calamary(squid) pillow for my husband (9,5 feet)as Christmas present. I can't wait to see his face on Xmas morning! I wanted an extra big pillow, but this one turned way to big :D
I will post it on my blog after Christmas

Jenny Lynn said...

They are adorable. Great idea!
visiting from The Shabby Creek Cottage!

Adorned From Above said...

You did such a great job with these. They are really cute.I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/12/6-crafts-and-recipes-and-wednesdays.html
Debi @ Adorned From Above

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

So frugal. I often use these simple throws as fabric. Love the suits!

Jill said...

Great outfits! I look at most things like they're fabric, not necessarily what they are being sold as! Particulaly in the charity shops! Glad I'm not alone!!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Jill said...

Great outfits! I look at most things like they're fabric, not necessarily what they are being sold as! Particulaly in the charity shops! Glad I'm not alone!!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...