Friday, April 13, 2012

Button Art

This is one of those projects that I've been meaning to do for ages, seriously ages.

I collected all my supplies, even organized my buttons on my canvas and then I froze.  I just could not figure out what to do with the background.  Paint it? What colour? Mod Podge? Fabric or paper?  It was so silly but I just could not visualize how this silly little craft would look in the end.  I always have to see something in my mind before I can make it happen.

Then I realized what my problem was!  I was picturing it in the wrong room.  The second I moved it from the living room to my studio (in my head) I knew exactly how it would look.  And I couldn't be happier with the end result.

Here's all you need:


Steps:
1) First things first, I didn't have the paint colour on hand that I wanted so I had to mix it.  By some miracle I got the exact colour I wanted...peach! (white tinted with pumpkin orange and mustard yellow)


2) Paint your canvas however many times it takes to get the coverage you like.  I was able to get away with one coat~


3) Let your canvas dry.  If you're a free wheelin' come as you are type person, you can skip this step.  If you're a little more controlling and lean toward the perfectionist side of the scale...lay out your buttons in the shape you want.  This ensures that not only will you have enough buttons, but your shape won't be lopsided.


4) Once everything is exactly where you want it, pull out your glue gun and start adhering your buttons to the canvas.  I was originally going to sew each button on but quickly saw how easily I could lose my mind, and went for the glue.


I got these awesome covers to protect my sensitive little fingers when I'm ironing with lots of steam (which is almost always when I'm sewing) and found that they came in super handy with the glue gun.  I'm sure I'd still be sitting there with raw fingertips if it hadn't been for these saviours.

Look Ma!  They all stuck!

button art, diy art, button crafts, make your own art. monogram art

I could barely believe it.  Only one button fell off when I stood my canvas up.  I thought for sure I would've missed more.  I just love how it sparkles and shines in the light.  (T is for Tamara in case your new around here.)


To go with my new little art piece I painted a small bulletin board and gave it a very subtle shimmer with my Sparkle Mod Podge.  And because I can't seem to go for even a week without pulling the stuff out, I also Mod Podged these cuties that I picked up for $1.00 each at the thrift store.


They got a base coat of white paint and then I used the napkin and tissue paper you see behind.


I didn't photograph all of the Mod Podge steps because you guys have seen me do it a million times.  Don't believe me?  Check out my entry for the Plaid Pinterest Board contest.  It's almost all Mod Podge projects!

So, this is what my little sewing corner looks like now.

Please don't mind the mess, I've always got
at least 4 or 5 sewing projects on the go.
I'm almost done doing a mini revamp of my studio and I can't wait to show you...soon!

Have a crafty weekend everyone and don't forget to check out the linky party page up top~

This project was featured here:



18 comments:

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Wao Tamara, its perfect..so beautiful!! All the best :)

Gen said...

Nice! So funny that you posted that today, last night I was playing with embroidery hoops and fabrics and thinking I would do a button 'E' on one of them for the nursery! Great minds....

Little City Farm said...

I love the idea of those finger protectors. I can't pull out the glue gun without at least one burn. Your button initial turned out nice. Can't wait to see the rest of your reveal.

Antoinette/Cultivate Life in Joy said...

Great button look. always had a vision in the back of my mind to do and yours came out wonderful which is enticing me to get on it. A pretty "K" for my grand-daughter's room.

Studio Paars said...

Love the buttons!

Studio Paars said...

Love the buttons!

singh.nishtha@gmail.com said...

Hey,

Great idea, simple, easy to make and beautiful...

Im definitely going to try it...

Great Work...

aimee said...

wow this looks great tamara i would love it if you could come and link up at my party at http://www.twiggstudios.com/2012/04/sunday-show-of-linky-party-features.html

p.s great idea to avoid glue burns xxx

Jenna said...

I think I need to invest in a bag of buttons and give this a shot... love it!

Jill said...

Love love love your T Tamara! Great job with the glue!



Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

PJ @ Planned in Pencil said...

The button art has been 'pinned' since my first week in pinterest, i've yet to bite the bullet and do it.... might have to push this to the top of the 'to do' list!!!

I'm your newest follower!

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

Love, love love this! I have to see projects in my head too before I can made them a reality! Nice tip about the finger covers!

Spittin-Toad said...

Nicely done!! I also have a button project up this week. My 14 year old daughter glued them to a lampshade...It turned out so cute!! :) Check it out if you get a chance...She would be thrilled!
Denise

Jennifer said...

This turned out great and nicely done! good tip on the rubber fingertips... the worst part about yielding a hot glue gun.. is well the "hot."

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Very cute! I love how you protected your fingers.

Dee

Debra Kapellakis said...

The buttons are awesome!

Unknown said...

Those little finger covers are so clever!! They would be great for the kids. I had to laugh at the "mess". WHAT MESS!! I wish my mess looked like that.:) Thanks for partying with us this week.

srpprcrftr said...

The simplicity is so exquisite on your monogram canvas I have got to make one very soon. It is so pretty, understated elegance.
Now I have got to find more white buttons. I hoard buttons, never seem to want to use them but for this I will with a coral background. Do you do anything that's not so wonderful?

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...