Friday, August 29, 2014

Washi Acetate Earrings

I've had some very important little visitors (check out my Instagram) here this week so I only had time for a super quick, but very pretty, project~

DIY Earrings, DIY Jewellery, Washi Tape

I have 1 roll of Washi tape that I've barely used so I wanted to try to come up with something interesting to show it off, plus I wanted some new earrings.  Voila!  The Washi Acetate earrings were born~

Here's what you need if you want to make your own:


Materials:
-Washi Tape
-Acetate Sheet
-Scalloped scissors
-Earrings findings (shepard's hooks + 4 jump rings)
-pliers, small hole punch (not shown)
-ink pad

Steps:
1) In order to stabilize your washi tape so that you can cut it, take a piece approximately 6" long and stick it down onto your acetate sheet.

Depending on how long you want your earrings
to hang, this should make 1 pair.
2) Using your scalloped edged scissors, cut two long rectangles.  You may have to play with this a bit.  I'm not sure if it was just my scissors but I found it made it difference which side was down and which direction I was cutting in.  Just play with it and find which way works best for you.


3) Punch a small hole in the center near the top of each rectangle.


4) My washi tape is pretty subtle so I inked the edges to bring out the scallop a bit more.



5) Add 2 jump rings (so it will hang the right way) and attach to your earring finding.


That's it!  I added a couple of little crystals to the bottoms of mine to add a bit of sparkle but that's basically it.

This entire project took me less than 10 minutes to do.  Try different decorative scissors with different washi tapes.  If you don't have a piece of acetate laying around you could just use some scrapbooking paper or cardstock.  I just like the glassy resin look I get with acetate.

Do you have a washi tape collection?  It's a trend I sort of passed on, probably because I knew if I started buying it I wouldn't stop.  What do you do with it all?  Leave a comment below~

4 comments:

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

How easy & cute :)

Sum of their Stories said...

That is such a clever idea. Love it!

Unknown said...

What a fun project using washi tape! GENIUS!

Lou Lou Girls said...

This looks so good! Pinned.It's a pleasure to have you be a part of our party. Please take a minute tonight at 7 pm, to party with us! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...