Here's what you need:
1) Separate your hoops so that you have two and tighten the one with the screw as small as it will go.
(I'm using 10" (25.5cm) hoops, but you can use any size.)
2) Run a bit of hot glue down the centre of your hoop and start wrapping your hemp cording
3) In very small sections, add a bit of hot glue to the inside of your hoop, and wrap the hemp cording tightly around. Keep the glue on the inside. It will seep through a bit and is less noticeable when it's only on the inside.
You can get really creative and use macrame knots instead. Or, if you're really industrious, try embroidery thread. It comes in way more colours, but it's much finer, so you'll need a lot more.
3) Secure the end of your cording with the glue and set aside.
Now, we're going to make a purse body to go with your lovely new handles that you just made, with a lovely scarf.
4) Fold your scarf in half and then fold the long edges over about 2.5" and press.
Now, most patterns will tell you to sew your sides first, but if you do that you'll have a very difficult time sewing your circular handles onto your purse, trust me, it's not fun. The first one will go on OK but the second one will have to be handsewn, and then it will look wonky because they're different.
Soooooooooooo, leave your sides alone for now.
5) Pin the edge you just pressed around one of your covered hoops.
7) Sew each edge down, keeping your hoops to the left of the sewing machine and far away from your needle.
8) OK, now you can you sew your sides together. With right sides together, sew your scarf together, leaving approximately 4" at the top separated. If you go too close to the top it will be difficult to open your purse.
9) Remember one of your hoops has a little closure on it, so slide it around until it's hidden inside your fabric.
Guess what...That's it! You've got yourself a new bag with one of a kind handles!
I went back and forth on adding a lining, which wouldn't be difficult at all, but I just felt very lazy and went for this super duper easy version instead. If anyone has questions about adding a lining you can email me and I'll try to help you as best I can.
Have a crafty weekend everyone!
This project was featured here:
Don't forget...you only have until Wednesday, June 13th to enter the Martha Stewart Banners and Tags giveaway!