Friday, June 29, 2012

Bicycle Bag

I used to live in Japan and while I was there I got really attached to my bicycle.  It was my only mode of transportation and I loved wheeling around the city on it.

Mine's in there somewhere~
The thing about that bike was that it was what I would call "old school" style (or what I affectionately call "Old Lady") and it had the best basket on the front and carrier on the back.  I even carted home my new sewing machine on that bike!

When I returned to Canada I just had to get a bike that was similar and I found this lovely ride.


But it's been several years and I have yet to find an awesome basket for it.  They just don't seem to make them anymore.

So, I've come up with my own.  It's small, just big enough for my keys and a bit of cash, but it will do the trick....for now~

DIY Bike Bag, How to make a bike bag, DIY Bike Basket, Easy sewing project
 
Here's what you need:


-fabric (I'm using an upholstery sample that I got for free ages ago but you can use anything that's sturdy and has some weight to it)
-thread
-bias tape (any size double fold)
-sticky back velcro (both sides)
-pins, scissors, tape measure, and sewing machine
-craft paper if you're making pattern pieces.  (You might be brave and just go straight to fabric)

Steps:
1) Create and cut out your pattern similar to the one below, cutting two of the rectangle and one of the arched piece.




When you place your pattern on your fabric, make sure to take to watch the direction of your fabric. Because mine has writing on it, I wanted to make sure that one side wasn't upside down.



2) Sew seams along three straight edges, leaving the top open.



3) Squeeze the notched corners so that you get a flat edge and sew across.  (For better pictures of this method you can also check out my Sharp Corners tutorial)


That's fading henna on my hand,
not some weird disease~

It should look like this now:


4) Turn your pouch right side out and attach the long straight edge of the arched piece to the back.  Lay right sides together and stitch across edge.

5) Attach the bias tape along the curved 'lid' and around the top of your pouch.


6) Center your velcro and pop a dot on both the pouch and the lid

7) Now this step probably should have been done first, but I wasn't exactly sure of the placement so I left it to last.  Cut two strips of bias tape approximatley 14-15" (35cm) long.  Fold the tape in half and tack onto the back of your pouch near the top.  This is what you'll use to attach the bag to your handle bars


There you go, now you're ready to ride in style!


 In doing this project I was suddenly (at the end of it all) inspired to create something completely different, so I'll try that idea too and let you know if it turns out.

Have a great weekend everyone!  It's Canada Day on July 1st!  Whoo hoo!  Looooong weekend, hot weather, and fireworks, who could ask for anything more.

21 comments:

Little City Farm said...

Yes, woohoo. :) Love the idea of you in Japan cycling around. My front tire is flat, must fix that. :)

Tammy said...

My hubby and I just started bike riding about a month ago and we are LOVING it! So far we're sticking to our subdivision to build our endurance, but have big plans to venture out this fall to places far and wide. This might be just the thing that I'll need for those longer rides. Thanks for posting this :)

Donna Wilkes said...

Good memories of rising bikes around and around the block! Cute little bike bag.

Distressed Donna Down Home

Anonymous said...

Love the bag!

Anonymous said...

Love it. Just got my bike out and pumped up the tires. bought mone of those jel seats. Bike bag is perfect for carrying necessary stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Maureen

Jill said...

Love this little bike bag! What fabulous fabric you used too!
I had a bike with a basket on the front when I lived in Japan too! Memories of cycling back from the supermarket with a full basket and bags balanced on both handlebars too!!

Hope you had a great Canada day!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea. I tutor a young man who is about to lose his cell phone 'cause he doesn't call home when he arrives at a friends. He told me that he doesn't have anyplace to put it when he bikes. I have been trying to think of a solution and this is it. I have some funky, boy material and it should do the trick. Thanks for sharing.

Foster said...

That is a great idea and a great bag. I must say, your bike really steals the show. I love it!

Gina said...

Very cute... except my husband already got me a big basket to go on the front. Love beach cruisers and I love grocery shopping with my big basket. I get a litle envious of countries that ha bicycles everywhere- loved your picture. . .Have a good day!

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks for your pattern. enJOYed the tut as well. Great job. I have ideas for other uses for this little purse. Found you on "yesterday on tuesday"

Anonymous said...

Cool. When I bike commuter years ago, in the early 80's! I took two small backpacks and hung them off my back rack to make panniers.

When I saw your method of attaching to the handle bars, I thought of the buckle clips, like what are on backpacks. well, put one end on each of the strap for the handle bar, then take a matching end for the bottom buckle, and set that to a strap, and you can convert your bike bag to a tote bag.

Unknown said...

This is a great pattern! I'd love to pin it on my pinterest board, but I don't see a pin...not sure how it works, but maybe you have to add the pin?
Thanks for the pattern!
Dodi

Etcetorize said...

I can't tell if the above comment is spam or not because it's from "unkonwn" but just in case not...you can pin anything, it doesn't have to have a pin button. If you're a member of pinterest you just install the button on your own toolbar and hit it whenever you see something you want to pin. It's easy. Go to Pinterest for full directions.

Dordors world said...

I have to make one of these for my 10 yr old daughter. She loves to whizz around on her bike and needs a bag to keep whatever in . Brilliant

Anonymous said...

love this! I would love to travel to Japan some day. How do you attach it to the handlebars? Laura

Etcetorize said...

Check out step #7 on how to attach to your handle bars~

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I saw thar, but meant. do you just tie the straps around the handle bars or use velcro or D-rings? I was not sure. Laura

Etcetorize said...

Oh yes! Just tie it onto the handlebars. I would've normally used strips of velcro but I just didn't have any on hand and I'm trying to just use what I've got in my stash. D-Rings are another good idea too!

Tammy said...

Tamara, I mentioned your bike bag tutorial, posted one of your pictures of it, and linked back to your blog in a blog post of my own today. If that's not ok, just let me know. (But you'll be disappointing both of my readers if you do!) heheh Thanks again for posting the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea! Here in the Netherlands our bikes all of a sudden have very nice baskets on the front handlebars. I have a great big red bike with a wicker basket the size you used tot see on the bike of a baker's boy. I can get all my daily shopping in there, but I still need a little pouch for my phone, keys and wallet. I think I will make one very soon.

Our DD's ride their bikse to school every day, about 8 miles. This is the norm here and I really do like that. They also liked the little bags and begged me to give them some of my old jeans to copy your work.

Thank you very much for this great idea.

Unknown said...

I LOVE this!! Due to some health issues, I'm not driving at the moment. This bag would let me find a way to carry my music, phone, keys and cash safely!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...