Friday, October 19, 2012

Turtleneck Makeover

I don't know if you've noticed or not, but I'm a bit of a bargain hunter.  I especially enjoy end of season sales because you can pick up all kinds of goodies for next to nothing and be all set for next year.  I try to stick to basics when I do this, that way it's sure to still be in style 12 months later.

Case in point....I got not one, but TWO perfectly good black turtleneck sweaters for a whopping total of 5 buckeroos!  Even the salesgirl was shaking her head at what a steal they were.

But I already have at least one black turtleneck in my closet (or maybe more).  So the whole reason I picked up two was so that I could play with them a bit.

We're going to go from sad, sad basic, to fun and sexy wardrobe staple in just two cuts and one seam!

deconstructed sweater, turtleneck to cowlneck, easy sewing
Please ignore the fact that my light fixture looks like a crown~
Here's what you need:


-2 sweaters, if you're a real trendsetter, they don't even have to match!
-thread, scissors, chalk
-sewing machine
-optional: serger

Steps:
1) Start by marking your sweater with the outline of a new, wider and slightly deeper neckline.  It doesn't have to be drastic.  Mine was widened about 3/4" on each side, tapering out to approximately 1.5"-1.75" in the centre front.  I also cut the back a bit too but wish I had left it closer to the original neckline, so don't take too much out here.

2) Once your happy with the new outline and are sure that it's symmetrical, cut it out.  Serge or zigzag your neckline edge as soon as possible to avoid fraying and stretching.


3) Set that piece aside and lay out your second sweater.  We're going to make this into a cowl for the neckline.  Mark and cut a line somewhere between the underarm area and bustline.  Again, serge or zigzag as soon as you can.


4) Now, pin the cowl to the body.  Be careful to make sure that the right side of the cowl is touching the inside or wrong side of the body and raw edges are even.  Your seam will end up on the outside.  That's OK, because once it's turned over the cowl will cover it up.  This way the side seams will also be finished on the outside.

It's that easy!  You're done!  Just turn the cowl out to the right side, try it on, and check out your new hot mama sweater!
Oooh la la!   Va va voom!   Hubba hubba!
So versatile~
We've already had a bit of snow here so I'm sure I'll be wearing this comfy number very soon.

And don't forget about those left over sleeves from the second sweater.  Just cut them off, serge the edge and you have a new pair of leg warmer/boot socks!



Some people have very strong feelings about turtlenecks...are you one of them?  Do you find them constricting or do you think they're cozy as a cocoon?  Leave a comment~

This project was featured here:

    It's a Blog Party
 

20 comments:

PJ @ Planned in Pencil said...

Eeeek! I love your boots! Omg. As in i would push you down and steal them off your feet!

I dont love the turtleneck, but I do love a cowl neck sweater. Never thought to make my own.


Hmmmmm.


Must do.

Jacinda said...

THIS IS GENIUS. I LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing. It looks adorable on you!

Cranberry Morning said...

That is SO SMART!!! Love the cowl. I hate the feeling of turtlenecks; they feel like they're strangling me. This is a great idea. :-)

Myric said...

You did a great job turning that turtle neck into something sexier top! Pinning it!

Would love for you to share it link party I am having right now @ petitespassions

and I am also having a giveaway!

xo
Myric



Maya Kuzman said...

So much better!!
Looks fantastic!

Suzanne Winter said...

awesome - I HATE turtlenecks (make me feel claustrophobic), but cowl necks are awesome!!!

Kathryn said...

I HATE turtlenecks-- with a capital H! They make me feel like I'm being strangled-- not to mention they turn short-waisted, short-necked, large-chested me into something resembling a shapeless blob! I've always loved cowl necks, though, and the way they give that "V-neck" effect while still being nice and cozy. Taking a turtleneck and turning it into a cowl? BRILLIANT!

Now if I can just get brave enough to actually take my scissors to a shirt like that... I guess if I'd never wear it as a turtleneck, I'm not losing much if I botch it, am I? ;) So nothing ventured, nothing gained! Thanks for the inspiration! I'm pinning this for future reference ;)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Tamara!
Love the versatility!
I just featured it on my Facebook page :) xox, d.
www.inspirationrealisation.com

Jill said...

Great makeover Tamara - and I just LOVE the sad before - and happy after pictures!!

Also wanted to let you know that I featured your glow in the dark masks on my round tuit post this week!
Round Tuit 124
Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

So clever! I wouldn't have thought to do that. I am bold with home sewing, but haven't tried any clothing sewing since high school. Love it!!

Ana Love Craft said...

Hi Tamara,

Allways with great ideas! Super awesome!
Happy week!

Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Shiloh said...

What a great upcycle! I like a turtle neck, but it has to be just right. Great for layering, really, I think.:)

Megan/Brassy Apple said...

FAB! what a great refashion!!!

thanks for linking up to Make it Monday! I've shared it on the Brassy Apple FB page :)

Jill said...

Thanks for linking this to a Round Tuit too!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

That is a great makeover. supercute. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

Abby said...

How cute is that! Love it!

Stephanie @ henry happened said...

that'a a great idea - I gotta search my closet for some turtlenecks!

Unknown said...

What a great idea, I love it! Would love it if you linked up on my blog hop www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Tamara! I've been wanting to do this but have been too busy/lazy to figure it out. #doing_today!

Anonymous said...

Great explanation, thanks so much! I bought several turtleneck jerseys a couple years ago on sale for $2 each, but the neck is so tight I can't tolerate them. I was thinking of altering the necklines, and a cowl neck is one of the looks I want, so I did a search and found your page, thanks so much! Since I didn't buy 2 of each, I plan to either mix and match colors, or perhaps even use an entirely different fabric for the cowl neck (will probably do some of each). Thank you!!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...