Friday, May 18, 2012

Stone Garden Markers

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm going through a bit of drama in real life at the moment and haven't really had time (or mental power) to do anything overly creative this week.

I did eke out a quick little project for my garden though.
Here's what you need:
You also need a cutting machine~
1) Use the text function on your cutting machine to write out some of the yummy veggies you're planning to plant in your garden this summer.  Make sure to use a font that has some fat and skinny parts.  I chose "Vijaya".

2) Adjust the spacing of the letters so that they're all touching.

Don't worry if some of your "o's" start to look like "a's" or "r's" start to look like "n's", you'll still be able to figure out what everything says.

3) If you're using a Silhouette machine, select the whole word and click on the "Weld" button in the bottom left hand corner of your screen.  This will ensure that the whole word will be cut out as one piece.

The second to last button is the "weld" button.
4) Using some high quality vinyl, have your cutter cut out your words for you.

5) Place the each word onto a pretty polished stone.
garden markers, garden tags, how to make plant markers, Silhouette vinyl craft
Those are not actually potatoes, they're weeds,
but in a few months they will be replaced by potatoes!
This is so simple but I swear I always forget what I've planted where, so I know this will be mega useful for me.
garden markers, garden tags, how to make plant markers, Silhouette vinyl craft
Yeah, that's not really corn either,
just more weeds~
If you have a cutter, this really only takes a matter of minutes to make.
garden markers, garden tags, how to make plant markers, Silhouette vinyl craft
I stick to the basics in my garden.
I was almost going to use outlines of the shapes of veggies instead of the words, but I figured everything would just come out looking like a blob, and that wouldn't help me very much.

May long weekend is this weekend and it signals the turning point for us here in Saskatchewan.  It means we're free and clear of snow and we can finally start planting and putting flowers out!!!  Yay! 
It also means the countdown to the end of lovely summertime temperatures begins. Only 3 months to get it all in!

Do you plant a garden?  How do you keep track of everything?  Make sure to share your garden organizing tips with everyone below~

Have a great, and loooooooooooooong, weekend everyone!

This project was featured here:

The ArtsyGirl Connection    Seven Alive

16 comments:

Simply Simplisticated said...

Im so LOVING these stone markers wish I had one of those vinyl machines:( Great job!! Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Tamara,

I adore these stone markers! And I'm jealous because I don't have a vinyl cutter ... but am brainstorming ways to recreate using scrapbook alphabet letters and a few coats of Mod Podge or perhaps poly ...

Oh, and I'm pinning too onto my Homes.com Spring Into The Dream Pinterest contest board ...

:)

Linda

Mikki said...

These are absolutely beautiful!

Stopping by via Addicts Anonymous.

http://ourfloridabungalow.blogspot.com/

Vanessa Dawne said...

So cool, Tamara. I need markers in my garden but tend to lose any that are on sticks. This is a wonderful, more permanent way to let me know who's where.

I don't have a vinyl cutter but I'm sure I could paint the words on. Thanks for the inspiration.

Susanne said...

What a great idea! Wish I had somewhere to put a vegetable garden so that I coud have borrowed this idea :)
Wish you a plesant weekend

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Great idea! They are so useful and cute.

Delightfully Curious Designs said...

i love this project, i am going to work on this this afternoon!!
genius!!!

Jill said...

What a great idea to use stones Tamara!

Just stopped by to let you know that I featured your mod podged shoes on my round tuit post this week!
Round Tuit 102
Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Kayla's Creations said...

Such a fun idea! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing at Sunday Round Up! Hope you have a great week!
-Kayla :)

Cranberry Morning said...

These are the best garden markers I've seen yet, for they're CHEAP and I don't want or need to spend money on garden marker - And, they're CUTE. :-) Your garden looks very hopeful. Isn't it amazing how weeds come up with no encouragement at all! lol

Cranberry Morning said...

P.S. I'm your newest follower. Hope you'll follow back? :-)

Aunt B said...

Nice idea! Thank you for sharing it.

Recipes We Love said...

Cute. Love the color you picked!

Unknown said...

These are adorable Tamara! I have made other ones but they are small or wash away! These are perfect! I can't wait to make some. Thanks for partying with us!

Unknown said...

Hey girlie! I'm featuring these at our party tomorrow. Love them! Thanks for partying with us. Hope everything is going better at work now.:)

Unknown said...

Wow, they look so neat and cool, i loved the color too. I got most of idea for garden design from garden design ideas

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...