Here's what you need if you want to copy this super easy and fast project:
|You may need a staple gun too...watch below to see why~|
1) Wipe down your spice rack and remove any ugly plasticky windows you might have.
2) Mask off any hinges or other parts you don't want paint on.
3) Now, you should probably sand it down a bit, but really, I don't have that much patience so I just got my trusty spray paint can ready with this awesome trigger gadget.
4) And then you just go to town spraying it all down. Nice light even strokes.
5) I said, Nice Light Even Strokes!!
Kidding, I'm not yelling at you. That's what I was saying to myself as I poured the paint on. This is why I don't normally use spray paint...I'm not good at going slowly, evenly, or lightly. Luckily this is in a part no one will notice and once I went over it a few more times you could hardly even see it.
The super thing with spray paint is that it dries so fast. I just kept letting it dry and adding another coat until I like the coverage.
6) Then I cut out some nice vellum paper to cover the window openings.
7) And this is where I had to improvise. I thought my handy dandy Mod Podge would do the trick and secure my paper to the wood. But my paper was quite heavy, almost like plastic. So it just wouldn't work. The nice thing was that it held things in place while I positioned it and then stapled it down. Without the glue first I think the stapling would have been quite frustrating.
So, I still recommend using some glue to get things in place. And if your using a lighter weight paper that might be all you need.
8) And now look at this!!!
Isn't it pretty?!?! I was originally going to use it to hold my acrylic paints, but the truth is that it wouldn't hold even half of them. So, my very smart friend suggested I use it for nail polish. Such a great idea!
I love how all the colours of the polish bounce off of the white. And the little drawer below holds my little gadgets I need whenever I redo my nails.
There you go, ugly old spice rack to totally useful nail polish holder! You could try using fabric or lace instead of paper if you have something similar. Even one without doors would be totally cute too!
What do you think?? Leave a comment below and let me know what else you can do with an old spice rack.
Make sure to check out the new linky parties on the tab above. Happy crafting everyone!