Friday, November 5, 2010

It's a sign~

Every time I step into my favourite second hand shops I always seem to stop and stare at the pile of silver trays and plates that are constantly accumulating on the shelves.  For the longest time I've been trying to figure out what I could do with them, but no matter how hard I stared at them, nothing would come to me.

And then I picked up the latest edition of Somerset Home.  There it was, right in front of me...the perfect project!

Angela Harris from yourangil.blogspot.com created beautiful objects with these trays to decorate her home and send out affirmation messages to her family.  I was so excited when I saw this, I knew that I had to make some for my house too!

Here are the supplies that I used:

Most important are the trays, the chalkboard paint and a brush, and some tape.  The rest is just fun embellishments~

Steps
1) Lightly clean the area that you will be applying the chalkboard paint to. 

I did a little research on cleaning silver (apparently toothpaste and a soft cloth are the way to go) but I quickly decided that what I loved about thiese little treasures was the patina.  It gives them character and age.  So, I left the rest of the tray alone and continued.

2) Tape around the area that you want covered with chalkboard paint.  This was my first experience using chalkboard paint and I thought that this step would ensure a nice clean edge....sadly it did not.  It wasn't bad but when I removed the tape it did lift some of the paint.  So, if you have an ultra steady hand you can skip this step.  Otherwise, just be super gentle when you remove the tape later on.



3) Paint the chalkboard paint onto the tray.  Give it 2-3 coats alternating the direction of your brush strokes on each layer.  It takes about an hour or so to dry in between each layer depending on how thick you paint it on.



4) Once the last layer of paint has dried thoroughly very, VERY gently remove the tape.  Now for the fun part - embellishing!!  Tie on pretty ribbons, sparkly butterflies, and other things to personalize them.  If your tray doesn't have handles or a filigree edge, you can use a hot glue gun to attach things.



5) Write special messages on the trays for your guests or family members and hang on doors or special places.

chalkboard sign, DIY chalkboard paint, Shabby chic sign, Silver Tray recycle

Aren't they gorgeous?!?!?  I hung the one above on the outside of my washroom door.

And the one below hangs on the door knob to my guest room.


chalkboard sign, DIY chalkboard paint, Shabby chic sign, Silver Tray recycle

I thought that I'd be able to set this one on the door casing outside of my studio but it wouldn't stay up there.  I ended up using a 3M Command Strip and sticking it right to the wall.  I love it!


chalkboard sign, DIY chalkboard paint, Shabby chic sign, Silver Tray recycle


chalkboard sign, DIY chalkboard paint, Shabby chic sign, Silver Tray recycle

What do you think?  Could you make these more 'masculine' or maybe more professional for an office?  What else could you use them for?  Leave a comment and share your ideas~

Don't forget to sign up as a follower and enter my giveaway here.

Hey!  This project has been featured on Lambaround as a Best in Show nominee! 
Check out Lamb's site and vote for my project to win~

My top referrer this week was Blue Cricket Design .  Go visit Becca for inspiration and creativity~

I'll be posting this project at the linky parties on the linky tab above.  Check them all out for more fun and great ideas~

36 comments:

Moe said...

These are gorgeous! Great job.

Gen said...

Quelle bonne idée! Très délicat. Bravo!

Beth Stone said...

Very creative - great idea! May have to try this sometime.... Thanks!

Amy @ Chicy-Creations said...

I adore this! I might be the last blogger who hasn't used chalkboard paint. I can't wait to try this!

Lindy said...

Too cute! What a good idea!

Creative Mind said...

this is really lovely...very smart idea..

Kathleen said...

Oh my goodness, I love this project. I definitely need one of these beauties for my kitchen. Thanks for sharing a terrific idea.
I'm your newest follower.

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Hi, I love your project. Would have never thought of turning silver into chalkboards:) It looks very vintage-chic.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Very pretty project! Fun stopping by to visit with you!

Kindly, ldh

Unknown said...

Pretty and Practical! You should sell these!

Anonymous said...

I made some of these a little while back. Yours are beautiful. I like how you added the ribbon to hang them. So fun to work with chalkboard paint!

Thanks for sharing your creations!
~Michelle

Envymycooking said...

I love this idea. Who would of thought to do this.. thanks so much for sharing..

Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com said...

wwowww,Saskatchewan, Canada... never been but have clients from there.

OK> from a fellow Canadian: YOUR STUFF IS GORGEOUS!! Wow wow wow. 3 words.

So, i'd be happy if you'd come over to our blog and show off this terrific idea/tutorial so our readers can find you/your blog too: http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-linky-party-19/

(btw every Wednesday a new party opens, so you can add more great tutorials as time goes on. Looking forward to seeing all your wonderful creations!

Paula@SweetPea said...

I have been wanting to try a chalkboard project for a while now. I'd like to do something just like you've shown. I think I'll free hand the paint after reading your tape result.

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Oh Wow! That is a cute idea! I would have never thought of this. It's adorable.

Kitty Deschanel said...

You were nominated for a Best in Show award this week! Be sure to stop by and vote for yourself :)

Jenni said...

those are so pretty! i am going to have to head to the thrift store to buy a couple so that i can make them! i think they would make great presents!

CandaceAshley said...

These are beautiful! I love chalk board paint! What a great idea!

Michelle said...

Wow! Gorgeous! I'm going to have to keep my eye open for some of these trays! What a great way to use them!

Titti @ Shoestring Pavilion said...

Love this idea, will probably have to steal it :)

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence that you just posted about this. I just bought chalkboard paint today for a stash of silver trays I have. I typically just paint words on them, but decided to break away from the norm and use the chalkboard paint. Can't wait to try it.

I love the embellishments you have chosen. Very shabby eclectic chic!

Take care,
Lisa

Etcetorize said...

Thanks everyone for your great comments! I really enjoyed this project, I hope you'll try it and have fun with it too!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Tamara - These are adorable! I love the ribboon hangers! I featured this on the Sunday Showcase Round Up. Thanks so much for joining in the fun! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you are enjoying your week ~ Stephanie Lynn

AllieMakes! said...

Those are lovely!Awesome!
I do hope you will come link this up to my weekly Thursday Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Kelly Oribine said...

Wow! I love this! I Think I'm going to be making some of these for christmas gifts. Thanks for such a lovely idea!

Shannon @ DoveNest28 said...

Love your trays! I'm gonna add this to my list of Christmas gift ideas.

When using painters tape you need to remove it before the paint dries, or a skin forms between the area you painted and the tape and it will be sure to lift up when you remove the tape.

Robin Johnson said...

Oh how I *heart* this project! Too cute.

Decor Createur said...

Love!! Totally trying this

Etcetorize said...

Thanks for the tip Shannon! I'll definitely keep that in mind the next time I'm using paint~

Sandra said...

I came by from The Shabby Nest. I love these. I made some mini versions that I use in my holiday decorating. I put 3 small ones together on my mantle. At Halloween I wrote B O O For Thanksgiving my daughter wrote Gobble Gobble and the 3rd she drew a picture of a turkey. Next month we are thinking we may write Ho, Ho, Ho. For Valentines we will write I Love You, January may get Let It Snow.

I also picked up a couple of old cookie sheets at a yard sale and painted them black then painted them with chalkboard paint and turned them into menu boards for me and my daughter-in-law (hers is for Christmas so she doesnt' know yet.) You can see it on my blog, http://sandrasdance.blogspot.com

I had picked up some of these same silver trays and knew I wanted to do something with them, but hadn't figured it out yet- now I have some ideas. Thanks!!

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Oh, how beautiful!
I love it!
Thank you for sharing!
Leticia

Etcetorize said...

Hi Sandra, Thanks for sharing all of your great ideas. I love that you change them up every month~

betsey at b.bar said...

I love this idea! I'm featuring this as part of my Chalkboard Paint Inspirations today. Thanks for sharing!

Betsey at b.bar
www.bybbar.blogspot.com

Lori said...

I love these trays, I have done several. I spray painted so you have to keep tape on every single space that you don't want the chalk. Love you have have adorned yours.

Anonymous said...

интернет знакомства оренбург без регистрации
http://straighttothebar.com/forums/member.php?466156-Lusiuyre

первоуральск интернет знакомства
http://www.lightplanet.org/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=335014

бесплатные интернет знакомства без смс
http://www.werderfriesen.de/forum/profile.php?id=513040

интернет знакомства по скайпу
http://banksochi.ru/user/Lusiuyre/

интернет знакомства волжск
http://www.films-sur-megaupload.com/user/Lusiuyre/

интернет знакомства в нальчике
http://video-art.ru/user/Lusiuyre/

интернет знакомства белово
http://stradev.netcorner.org/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=41542&sid=c576b3e31f3524190648dfd7897955ef

интернет знакомства оренбург без регистрации
http://www.sobor.by/jkl/iv/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=641

интернет знакомства ноябрьск
http://rap-dvor.ru/user/Lusiuyre/

популярные сайты интернет знакомств
http://www.novosyelov.ru/user/Lusiuyre/

интернет знакомства в ульяновске

Anonymous said...

ambien no prescription ambien withdrawal restless legs - ambien side effects weight gain

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...