Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Show and Tell: My Studio

On the weekend I tackled a DIY project that I've been putting off for a very long time.  I had to reinstall some Ikea floating wall shelves.  Many months ago I got overzealous and placed way too many books on the top shelf.  Of course, it didn't take long for the shelf to try to break free from the wall, sending all of my books sliding to the floor.

Since then I've been able to push it back in and balance just a few items on the precarious perch.  I finally had enough though and reinstalled the whole darn thing.

Anyway, once I did that and cleaned up the rest of the studio a bit, I thought I might as well take a few shots and share my entire space with you.  Now you'll know where I spend the majority of time, when I'm not sitting at my computer patiently waiting for Blogger to upload photos~


I like having a TV in the room.  It's not always on though.  It's helpful if I have instructional DVDs...or if Project Runway is on!  Underneath the TV is my collection of Vogue magazine's from the 80's.  Someday they'll come in handy I'm sure.
  

This table is one of the most useful things in the whole room.  Unfortunately for me, it belongs to my mom.  She lent it to me because her sewing room is too small to allow her to expand it.


When I'm doing a small crafting project I can open one leaf.


And when I'm cutting out fabric I fold out two leaves!


The infamous floating shelves.  And one of the first projects I shared, the Super Hot, Super Easy Ironing Board Cover .


 This cabinet is another Ikea purchase.  They no longer sell it, which might be a good thing.  See that middle vertical piece?  All of the holes on it are about a 1/2 inch off from the holes on the other sides.  So, even though the two middle pieces should have lovely shelves, they don't, because they'd all be crooked.   I couldn't bear to pull the whole thing apart to drill new holes in so I make it work and just keep piling more fabric in there.

(I probably shouldn't admit this but there's more fabric in the room next door.) The drawers hold my collection of vintage sewing patterns.


 And this is where you'll find me.  Surrounded by inspiration, hopefully creating something that's beautiful, and useful.

Where do you create?  I've had to use everything from a closet to the kitchen table to the wonderful space I'm so lucky to have now.  Leave a comment and tell everyone what you love about your creative space.


12 comments:

Tammy @ Type A said...

i'm like gaga over this room, i would love a craft/office all to myself! love this. i would love it if you shared it at my party.

http://typeadecorating.blogspot.com/2011/02/anything-goes-party-5.html

Anonymous said...

I like your room. The tables are awesome and I love that chair at the desk. I want a table that can fit more than just a sewing machine.

Unknown said...

I just use my table to create on, but it's rather small, so sometimes I move in to the dining room and work on our larger dining table. There I sit and quill or draw or make jewelry while listening to the sound of meat or vegetables sizzling on the stove while my mum is frying something. :-)
I LOVE YOUR TABLE! Wish I had one of those!!!

Love,

The Creative Muslimah

Annie said...

I just cleaned my area and blogged about it today. I don't have a TV, but would love one in there
Annie
http://itsawip.blogspot.com/2011/02/sewing-room-clean-up.html

WobiSobi said...

I was thinking about doing something similar, but with my desk where i work. I love to see where people create. You have so much room,so jealous. LOve it!!

AllieMakes! said...

How light and inspiring!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Nicole said...

nice space! This may be a totally wrong assessment, but are you sure you don't have the middle piece in the cabinet in upside down? I have assembled my fair share of IKEA furniture and if it doesn't line up there is usually a reason. They make it line up only one way so that you don't put it on upside down :o)
May be worth checking out by just measuring the bottom holes on the sides and the top holes on the middle. If it's the same measurement you might have found your problem!

Etcetorize said...

Thanks Nicole, I will definitely check that out. It will still totally break my heart to take it apart, but I just might have to~

High Street Cottage said...

Tamara, you've got great style! I had a chance to peek at your Etsy shop, and I am in love with your clothes. Very up to date, yet, classy still. You also chose great fabrics. I'm stopping by via Funky Junk Interiors, to say Well Done! xoxo tami

Alison Agnew said...

i just love the clean creative space here...i would be thrilled to have a space like this to work in. thanks for sharing!

alison

Unknown said...

the organization is lovely, i long for my own space .)

Feel free to stop by and link up to my Make & Share 1st edition today and come back every friday thru saturday!

~ Christy

Liz331 said...

I love your studio! It's simple yet efficient! I'm in love with your expanding table too. Where did your mom find such a neat table if you don't mind me asking?
You have really inspired me to do more with my space. Thanks! :-)

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...